What TDS Level is Too High for RO/DI

Derek

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have always wondered what TDS level everyone uses as an indicator to change their RO/DI unit filters. I just ordered some new filters and my RO/DI unit is reading 17ppm on the TDS meter for the "clean" water.

I'm relatively new to the RODI scene and I was kind of worried when I saw it creep up to 1. :P Null voted to see what y'all are doing. Feel better now.

Is that after the gallon or so flush you are supposed to do after replacing filters?

I haven't received the new filters yet. They come in on Friday. I did a flush on my filters over the weekend and it stayed at around 17ppm. The sediment filter is yellowed so I think that's one of the main issues.

High TDS right after a filter change is not unusual at all. Flush about 3-4 gallons of water through the system before you start using the water. After the flush, you will see your TDS drop.

Is that after the gallon or so flush you are supposed to do after replacing filters?

I haven't received the new filters yet. They come in on Friday. I did a flush on my filters over the weekend and it stayed at around 17ppm. The sediment filter is yellowed so I think that's one of the main issues.

Yup, time to change those filters. I'm about to do the same, my TDS is up to 3. Time for it to go away.

I mis-read your original post.. sorry about that. I guess that is high, though truthfully I have use 25+ water before with no problems. But that was also when I was barely feeding my tank.

What meter's do you all use that are accurate down to hundredths (.01) of a ppm? Ppb TDS meters are crazy expensive.

Just the BRS dual in-line digital TDS meter.

I have problems when I was having about .03 tds. Once I was using .00 TDS, I stopped having alot of algae issues.

What problems did you have?

I usually flush mine out fro about 10 minutes if it hasn't been used in a while.

Any TDS after the DI chamber is bad. You can test what the RO membrane is putting out to determine if that is going bad and causing the DI unit to be overworked. Sediment and carbon filters should be changed out every 6 months or so to preserve RO membrane life.

What meter's do you all use that are accurate down to hundredths (.01) of a ppm? Ppb TDS meters are crazy expensive.

Crazy expensive and about $50 bucks a pop to calibrate, which needs to be done before every sample set.

Anything above "0"ppm is crap talking about RO/DI. I believe the common dual TDS metter accuracy is plus/minus 1ppm.

Also the first category in the voting section above should be <5 right?

Crazy expensive and about $50 bucks a pop to calibrate, which needs to be done before every sample set.

Can you really call a unit that has to be calibrated every use a meter? It's like calling a sheet of paper a ruler so long as you calibrate it every time.

I don't mean every sample, but you can't use it for a day and then put it away and use it a week later. Daily calibration is probably overkill, but if the data is important, garbage in = garbage out.

I don't mean every sample, but you can't use it for a day and then put it away and use it a week later. Daily calibration is probably overkill, but if the data is important, garbage in = garbage out.

I did kinda figure that the frequency of use for a reef had something to do with it. But, I do wonder if well calibrated measurments into ppb is really that important. For the aquarium part of the equation. If your uncalibrated results are show three phosphates when it is actually 7, will the tank really care? (I know, that's not exactly how it works. It was hyperbolic).

Granted, this is ignores the reefer part of the equation. There are surely people that want to know very specifically. Which is fine if the budget allows. I'm not sure if you are one of them or not, or just knowledgable on the subject.

Archived