zoa placement

Wade

So how close to the top do you all usually place a zoa? I'm workingon acclimating my tank to my new RB Photon and so far they look happier than ever, but I'm still in the first week and am only at 25%. I've got most about 2/3 of the way down and I have one in the upper third.

I've tried to emulate what I've seen in some others tanks on this forum whom I respect due to their obviously flourishing tanks. I place mine low in the tank, in very indirect and low flow. Once I did this, everything did better. I am only running t5's but even in my tank if I have zoas in the top half of the tank, they shrivel to about 1/4cm in size and eventually die if I don't lower them. Only recently have I crossed the line from killing zoas, to growing zoas.

Some people say they do fine in high light. That may well be true but I guess a very slow acclimation to those conditions would be in order.

There are hundreds of different species and variants of Paly's and Zoas. Some will take very intense light (as in 600+ PAR) and others will not tolerate light levels that intense. If possible find out how much ight they grew under and emulate that.

Archived