Eureka: We beat the heat

subsea

At 2PM greenhouse air temperature is 106.7 degrees. System water temperature at 1200 gallons is 77.9 degrees. I will wager that system water stays below 80.0 degrees.

Il fait chaud will not be victorious. Evaporative cooling will win this battle.

Thermodynamics 101 says that for every lb of water evaporated, there will be 1000 BTU of cooling. Each gallon evaporated will give 8500 BTU of cooling. Considering that a medium sized tree will use and evaporate 100 GPD, there will be 850,000 BTU of cooling from one tree.

La bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

Are you tracking dew point, and do you have a humidity limit where the system breaks down?

I think we need to all cover our roofs with dirt and trees for our comfort and the environment :)

George,

My humidity gauge stopped working after the first day. While the process is least effective in the morning with high humidities and low water temperatures, it is still able to evaporate and cool. Last night, I turned fans off at 11PM because the water temperature had been cooled down to 77.0 degrees. The night before, with fans on all night, at 7AM the water temperature was 72.6 degrees. I decided that 77.0 was cool enough. Perhaps during August, the fans will run 24/7. I already use air extensively to circulate water. This on its own assist with evaporative cooling.

Come out and smell the flowers. The wildflowers are gorgeous this year.

La bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

Archived