Chalice help

SChrisEV

I have a chalice frag that was given to me about 5 months ago. The guy was closing his tank down, it was not looking very good but I figured I'd give it a go. After doing a little reading I did not have high expectations because at the time my tank had only been cycled for a couple months. Well it recovered and seems to be doing very well after a couple months in my tank. Over the last few weeks it is going down hill, pretty fast. I am seeing tissue recession on a couple of the edges.

I had an incident with a Lobo and a favia, they had a little war, I placed them too close, and the favia lost, and died sad.png. The Chalice was close, but at the time I did not see any evidence that it was caught in the cross fire. So I'm not sue if that had anything to do with it or not.

It is on the sand bed of my tank that is a 24" depth, I have a couple BuildMyLED lights on the system, but they have been there for quite some time. I have not direct fed it ever, It gets pretty constant flow but it's not real turbulent flow, again except for some small movement (couple inches left to right, front to back) it's been about in the same place since day one in my tank. It has been the victim to my tiger tail sea cucumber, urchins and fighting conch in terms of being knocked around a bit.

I'm sure there are question I'll need to answer, but any advise? I'd really like to see if recover and thrive.

Thanks.

If it was doing well for a couple of months that would tell me it was happy with the flow and lighting where it was at. I would focus on a water quality issue and run GAC and do water changes as well as monitor the pH, alk and calcium. Now that it's been moved and it dies did it die because it didn't adjust to the new flow, the new light or whatever was wrong with it after it was doing well?

Are you running carbon? If not I'd strongly consider it. If there's a chemical war going on as the cause carbon is one of the easiest ways to attempt to deal with it.

Archived