feeding corals

Jimbo662

I was wondering if anyone else does this and if it's beneficial. I let algae grow on the sides / back glass for several days. I'll turn off the return pump but leave the power heads running while I scrape it off. My thinking is that it helps feed the corals.

James

I guess algae would indirectly help feed the corals, by feeding things, that corals feed on. People with decades more experience than me will chime in I'm sure, but aren't all corals technically photosynthetic carnivores, meaning they wont actually consume algae and plant matter. For me, I notice an overall improvement in color and growth when I directly feed my corals. I only feed my anemone,LPS, and Palythoas directly though. I feed them the same stuff I feed my fish. NLS pellets and PE Mysis. I use a DIY target feeder I made. I don't directly feed my leathers, zoas, or sps corals. None of them show any feeding response. They're not able to take in big meaty shrimp pieces lol. They feed on more of a microscopic level.

I don't know how much the coral like that algae on the glass but in my tank, scraping the glass makes the polyps really extend. So I guess I do do that.

I spot feed my corals, I use rotifers and its mainly because I have to feed my yellow gorgonian. I can see my torch coral and forg spawn react when I feed. My xenias, I am not sure about, they react but I think its only because I am blowing water on them with the dropper. I do not see any reaction at all from the zoas . For the most part the photosynthetic corals will make their own food and grab what ever microscopic stuff naturally floats in the tank.

There are some microscopic videos online of some sps corals feeding. Shows the polyps catching rotifers and ingesting them. Seems like only a limited amount of corals will show a visible feeding response. I'd bet that most corals get the majority of their energy from photosynthesis and microscopic foods. I bet the scraping of the glass will stir up something in the water that causes polyp extension but not the algae itself. Likely something living in/feeding on the algae film. Also, the film that builds up on the glass isn't entirely algae either, alot of it is bacteria and such

There are some microscopic videos online of some sps corals feeding. Shows the polyps catching rotifers and ingesting them. Seems like only a limited amount of corals will show a visible feeding response. I'd bet that most corals get the majority of their energy from photosynthesis and microscopic foods. I bet the scraping of the glass will stir up something in the water that causes polyp extension but not the algae itself. Likely something living in/feeding on the algae film. Also, the film that builds up on the glass isn't entirely algae either, alot of it is bacteria and such

Couldn't agree more.

Brooks do you culture your own rotifers or feed freeze dried/packaged rotifers? Next bulkreefsupply order I put in I'm gonna try out their "reef chili". It apparently has alot of the stuff in it that sps can eat

I've been using the reef chili for several months. Everything seems to enjoy it...even the fish! They've learned that when I put the feeder in the water they swarm the end of it waiting for it.

Corals will feed on phytoplankton as well as zooplankton among other things. I do the same but I'm assuming it's being processed by the fish first before it get's to the corals. grin.png

Archived