noob question

Dustin Pedretti

ok...so i've got a dumb noob question

how do yall rinse your carbon?

i've been messing with this stuff for almost 2 hrs and every time i smoosh the bag around and put it under water again all that carbon dust comes out again....it's driving me crazy

Theres a thread already going on about this titled 'do you boil your carbon?' I rinse it. But in RO water. I wouldnt run tap water through it or saltwater. There are theories/arguments/bickering about the volatility of carbon beyond anywhere from 5 minutes, to 6 months.. No one seems to agree how long each lasts. But I definitely rinse it, otherwise you end up with carbon sediment all over everything, which in turn makes your sps and softies start sliming.

The method I follow is I do a quick rinse of it, and then let it sit in the container for a bit longer, then dump the water, re-rinse and then toss the sucker in. You wont be able to get ALL of the dust out. However, if you can, throw in some filter floss right before you drop in the carbon bag or start up the carbon reactor. It will catch a lot of it.

Back when I ran carbon, I would soak it for an hour and then lift it a few times like a tea bag. You can also run it under the hose while kneading the bag with your hand. It takes about a minute.

I have a mixing bowl,2 quart, that I use for this.

I put the bag in the bowl and add about 1 quart of RODI water. I swirl and swish and crunch it a bit, about 2 minutes. Water is inky black. Dump water. Add 1 q RODI to rinse, dump, rinse again, dump, use carbon.

Been doing it that way for years, since freshwater days and haven't changed. Just I used to use distilled instead of RODI... Same concept though.

I guess you could do it with salt water but I never have. Easier with RODI IMO as I always have a gallon sitting around.

Would any of y'all be concerned about using tap or tank water to rinse carbon? Wouldn't the carbon absorb alot of what's in the water, effectively weakening its cleaning ability before it even makes it into the tank?

Would any of y'all be concerned about using tap or tank water to rinse carbon? Wouldn't the carbon absorb alot of what's in the water, effectively weakening its cleaning ability before it even makes it into the tank?

I wouldn't, but I'm often accused of being an idiot...shrug.

well I guess that really depends on the amount of impurities. If there are a lot of additives and what not in your water, it could burn up a bunch of carbon just rinsing it. One of the water pros isg oing to have to jump in on this one... vic? timfish?

I have always rinsed it In tap water before I use it and change every 3 weeks tops. After that its prob not doin much anyways. If your smooshin the bag around its gona make dust. Just do a quick rinse

I have always rinsed it In tap water before I use it and change every 3 weeks tops. After that its prob not doin much anyways. If your smooshin the bag around its gona make dust. Just do a quick rinse

ok thats pretty much what i did...i figured the stuff was already waisted anyways...might as well just throw it in and see if it worked or not...looks like its working...my tank is super clear....like SUPER CLEAR

I stick some in a nylon sock rinse it for a couple of minutes in tapwater and stick it in a homemade "reactor" I replace it monthly, well, I don't expect it to be doing much after a month.

Archived