june 4

lewisweil

I believe there is another big saltwater section going in. But ask for Mike, he is the fish manager and let him know what you would like to see.

Thanks for all the nice words, I am really happy with it and I know it will just keep getting better with feedback from the community.

When I was there a mom and her kids were there and one of kids told the mom that "Wow! This is so much better than Petsmart!" =)

The FW hobby is like the gateway drug into SW hobby. A store like FG has a lot more retail appeal than any of our other LFSs and having kids programs etc will get more people, eg families, into the fish hobby overall.

Exactly!

When I was there a mom and her kids were there and one of kids told the mom that "Wow! This is so much better than Petsmart!" =)

The FW hobby is like the gateway drug into SW hobby. A store like FG has a lot more retail appeal than any of our other LFSs and having kids programs etc will get more people, eg families, into the fish hobby overall.

Some people just do FW without the hard stuff, or try the hard stuff and go back to FW. smile.png Or do both.

I agree that it seemed a little light on salt water. I get that fresh is the gateway drug, but I was hoping to see a bit more variety. Also found the layout of hardware /dry goods to be confusing. Didn't seem to flow at all.

I can't wait to see th their show room when it opens.

Definitely struck me as "come back in a month and we'll be ready to shine"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk HD

I went today and bought a fire fish and a cherry barb and 3 cherry shrimp. I asked the guy if they would all be ok together and said "no". So off to a good start. It's a fun store. I talked to the manager for a long time. They want to do right. Looking for input. It's worth the visit. Their freshwater/pond section is cool. Has portholes for kids to stick their heads through. Prices on live stock were good. Overall good time.

Prices on live stock were good. Overall good time.

Really? I found them to be fairly inflated, at least for salt water. Their live rock (real reef) was 9.99/lb. I know aquatek had it for 7.99/lb last I checked. Seemed to me most fish were at least $5 than other comparable specimens I've seen.

That said, I think their tanks are better at displaying the stock than other stores I've been to locally. They also had some nice large colonies for sale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk HD

I did not check live rock price but I got a fire fish for $15. Was $25 at another local shop. Got 3 cherry shrimp for $5. They can be that price for each. And a cherry barb for 1.99. About the same as everywhere else.

The Anubias I got were cheaper than LA, got to pick them out and no shipping (just sales tax). The driftwood I bought was a little pricey, but the 20% off deal got me to buy it. I didn't look at fish prices (avoiding for now).

Archived