Seeding filter cartridges for QT

Wade

Now that i've got my cyano taken care of, it's time to get the QT set up. When I seed the filter cartridges for the HOB filter, do I need to do both the carbon and bio cartridges or just one or the other?

depends on if your just setting up a back up QT, medicating or doing a preventive treatment. If your medicating or a preventive treatment the answer is neither. If your just setting up a tank separate from your display to observe new fish, use both and water changes from your display. IMO.

I'm setting it up to quarantine new stock before adding it to the DT. I went ahead and put both cartridges in the sump and will do a water change within the next week. It's a 20 gallon QT so I guess I should use 10 gallons from my DT and 10 gallons of fresh SW. I believe that's what I've read in other posts on the subject. Seeding the cartridges only takes about a week, correct?

depends on if your just setting up a back up QT, medicating or doing a preventive treatment. If your medicating or a preventive treatment the answer is neither. If your just setting up a tank separate from your display to observe new fish, use both and water changes from your display. IMO.

Why neither for medicating? I understand no charcoal. I nderstand that you don't want to put the used filter back in your tank after medicating. But is there a reason you wouldnt want a cultured floss filter in your medicating tank?

Wade, I got a new HOB (never used) filter to use as a QT and I'm just thinking about hanging the whole thing in the sump and letting it run while my main system cycles. I figure since I'm setting up my tank for the first time I will be using it a lot for the next while and want it basically to be a fully cycled tank. Maybe someone will chime in if this is wrong.

interesting. i have never lost my cycle in m DT tanks when i have used antibiotics. maybe it is because of the number of bacteria in a fully cycled tank vs. a small single filter cartridge.

In addition to what CKYUV said, carbon has the potential to remove active ingredients in medication.

Generally, people would tell you NEVER to use anti-biotics in your tank. it has nothing to do with the normal bacteria, but a lot to do with sensitive membranes that inverts, and corals possess, which causes these organisms to be inadvertently over-medicated, when you really meant to medicate your fish. Also, if you had carbon filters and ran antibiotics in your tank, chances are you removed the medication before it caused a die off.

i was unclear. previous experience is freshwater and i don't run carbon. but i see that it is different in SW. it looks like i will have both a QT and a medicating tank by the time all my mistakes are made :). thanks.

I am in the same boat...wondering best way to add new fish without adding ich etc. So far my best understanding is to set up a tank with sw, powerhead, perhaps a filter, no substrate, few pvc pieces and maybe plastic plant, with the understanding that daily waterchanges are going to be necessary to keep ammonia etc down, and also having the understanding that I will PROBABLY have to either medicate or do the tank transfer method if the fish ends up having ich. I'm pretty much unwilling to introduce any disease into the main tanks (I need to stock my mother in law's established FOWLR and in about two months, my own newly set up FOWLR).

I have used formalin sucessfully in a freshwater setup (yes even a planted tank) without any consequence on the biological filter, but am not knowing whether or not formalin would destroy the beneficial bacteria in a salwater setup. Plus I don't want all my rock and silicone stained blue ;)

Please share your experience qt'ing and adding livestock in this thread if you don't mind, maybe I can learn something from you since you're probably going to beat me to it. I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks so will wait till I get back before going shopping for fish.

I am in the same boat...wondering best way to add new fish without adding ich etc. So far my best understanding is to set up a tank with sw, powerhead, perhaps a filter, no substrate, few pvc pieces and maybe plastic plant, with the understanding that daily waterchanges are going to be necessary to keep ammonia etc down, and also having the understanding that I will PROBABLY have to either medicate or do the tank transfer method if the fish ends up having ich. I'm pretty much unwilling to introduce any disease into the main tanks (I need to stock my mother in law's established FOWLR and in about two months, my own newly set up FOWLR).

I have used formalin sucessfully in a freshwater setup (yes even a planted tank) without any consequence on the biological filter, but am not knowing whether or not formalin would destroy the beneficial bacteria in a salwater setup. Plus I don't want all my rock and silicone stained blue wink.png

Please share your experience qt'ing and adding livestock in this thread if you don't mind, maybe I can learn something from you since you're probably going to beat me to it. I'm going on vacation in a couple weeks so will wait till I get back before going shopping for fish.

we'll see. my tank is cycling pretty slowly right now, so it may be more than a month for me. in the meantime, esacjack and subsea posted some details for me in my build thread about my QT plan. my part starts here and their responses show up a little lower after some fuge light conversations.

you may want to post a build thread. i have found it extremely helpful in my build. i would still be flailing along in the shallow end without all the great advice. of course, this is my first build. i'm not sure what sort of experience you already have.

thanks, yes I will start a build thread, Please check it out and chime in! I've done reefs years ago and I got out while my kids were young, but they're older now and a little more self sufficient so I want to have some sw fish to look at ;)

hmmm, this may be a little off topic, but it seems to have morphed a bit.

with the ich and uv conversations going on, what about saving money and installing a small uv sterilizer on the QT instead of the DT? I found this one that I think would do well for small QT setups.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24041

Archived