Programming my new Photon 48

Wade

I received the new Photon 48 today and couldn't wait to get home and hook it up! So I skipped out about 30 minutes early and got busy. I gotta say it's pretty awesome. I've got a question for the other photon owners out there. When you ramp your lights up and when they're at whatever max output you're using, do you have both channels set at the same intensity?

Dude. You gotta post pics of this fixture soon. Very interested in the reefbreeders lights. What size tank are you using it on? Does it look purple to you? Alot of the pics I've seen online make their spectrum look very purple. They kick out alot of par. Really wanting to see some anecdotal evidence of them growing sps over a year or two. Most threads I find in google are of brand new lights or lights on softy tanks

I'll post a picture when I get home this evening. I've got both channels at 25% for the first week. My wifes first comment was, "Looks kinda purpley." It's completely programable so I should be able to back adjust it so it's not so purple. When the light was at 75% while I was programming it, I didn't think it looked purple at all. My tank is a 72 gallon bow-front. I believe the dimmensions are 48"L x 18" - 12"W x 22"D.

Yeah it's a little purple but I'm sure you can dial it back a little on the reds. I bet that's what's doing it. On another note. I don't know if you have has a build thread going that I missed, but your in wall setup looks absolutely classy. Well done sir. Well done.

I did notice that when you crank up the intensity on the second channel (which appears to be more of the "white" light) you lose a lot of the intense purple/blue. I'll post updated pictures as I crank up the output each week. Since all I have at this point is zoas, I may speed up the acclimation to the new light and increase the output by 15% a week.

No one's answered my question about what output percentage they have their channels set at. Although, the answer may be based entirely on personal preference. Any Photon owners out there?

@Bpb: Thanks man. While there's no doubt that I love the way it looks, it's a bit of challenge to basically have a fish tank in a closet. Everything is very tight in there. I'm so happy to get that metal halide out of the equation though. I think I do have a build thread out there somewhere.

well, my fixture over my nano reef is way over powered. it sports 16 LEDs over a 12x12x12 area. So I have mine set to 10% which is as low as the driver goes without shutting off completely. Here are my leds.

RB : 20%

Blue: 10%

UV: 10%

White: 10%

If I crank it up any higher on any channel too quickly, my zoas start closing up and squinting. When I introduced my dimmerless kessil into my frag tank, I roasted quite a few coral tips and frags before realizing it was too bright. LED's visible intensity always seems dim, even when you're pumping 200 PAR on the sandbed. So be gentle for the first week or two.. 10% - > 20% -> 30% Keep an eye on your coloration though. LED's make everything pop, but that also works against you. The bleaching is less obvious , until youve done some good damage.

Thanks esac. I started off at 25% and so far my zoas seem to like it. I'll be sure to take it slow though.

@Grog: yeah there's a louvred door on the back side. Not a lot of space in there, but makes for a neat presentation from the outside.

Archived