wtb: black clown pair

Dustin Pedretti

just as it says...lookin

im looking for a small cheap cheap pair...

thanks for looking guys!

Hey dustin, I wouldn't keep two pairs of clowns in one tank. They will eventually fight when one pair or both reaches breeding size... :( I wanted a couple pairs too, but after a lot of research I decided not to try it. You saw what happened with my normal oscellaris and the black clown that I picked up. They fought over the female. That's why I traded him to you. =)

I talked to a guy who raised clownfish together, and he says its tricky but possible to raise different species like a clarkii clown and oscellaris, but not two similar types together. He says clowns don't much care about what colors they are, and will still recognize each other as clowns and will eventually fight. He says when they do, they are extremely aggressive and will kill the outcast fish.

i wasnt planning on keeping both pairs in the same tank

they can be kept in large groups though...5 or more...there will be one female and one male and the rest will be male/non-sexed untill the female dies and everyone moves up in pecking order...correct me if im wrong (proly am lol)...im no expert but i do remember reading this before...

remember the 40g octag. you saw in the living room?...its getting piped in with the system...this pair were for the big tank and the orange pair were for the little tank

yeah but they werent totally black...i dont like them with the orange nose...is this something they grow out of?

Possibly so! Mine used to have orange fins on their side, now they're all black :)

I figured Brooks would chime in at some point. Dustin if you're looking for designer clowns, Brooks is definitely the person on here to talk to.

yeah but they werent totally black...i dont like them with the orange nose...is this something they grow out of?

Both of my Ocellaris have turned almost completely black (ther than the white stripes) as they matured. One still has a tiny bit of orange on his lips, but it is going away.

I figured Brooks would chime in at some point. Dustin if you're looking for designer clowns, Brooks is definitely the person on here to talk to.

lol...ive actually been talking to brooks and mr cobbs behind the scenes

Both of my Ocellaris have turned almost completely black (ther than the white stripes) as they matured. One still has a tiny bit of orange on his lips, but it is going away.

ive heard theyll do that but wanted to confirm

will eventually turn all black, if you want to keep a group you must make sure all fish are in a juviniale stage with them all being males, it is best to buy all at the same size and at the same time, i have two orange ocelaris, and one black in my 55 for over two years and the orange pair will not let the black go anywhere near there nem, but they always come into his torch coral, kinda funny, but no fighting, and i think that the only way that i suceeded with this is because the black clown was the first fish back in the tank after a tank move,(bought him at the AD on my way to my new house, lol) and the tank was completley rearranged, tried introducing a miss bar along time ago before the the black, and i also knew he was a male, and my pair beat the crap out of him, and the established male in the bonded pair was the bully who really tore him apart, so it really is 50/50, and have tried diffrent clowns over the years and it works ok for awhile but they eventually fight sooner or later, i think having multiple of the same speicies of clown in the same tank is possible, even long term, you have to take the right steps from the git go,

Archived