Need help drilling my ADA tank

Drift Monkey

I'm looking to drill my 60-P soon and needless to say, I'm pretty nervous about it. I tried drilling some scrap glass and...let's just say it didn't turn out well. I think it may have been because it was a clutchless drill (too much torque?). I may be able to borrow a cordless adjustable clutch drill from work, but if someone with some experience could lend a hand...that'd be better.

I also know fishy business drills holes, but I'm not sure how much he charges...

Make absolutely sure the bottom isn't tempered if that's where you are drilling. I know my ADA has a tempered bottom. Otherwise, I have used a cordless and a corded drill. You just want a constant speed. I think a clutch would be a bad idea in case it kicks in and catches or something.

Put a wet paper towel inside the drill bit. Use a spray bottle to keep the cut wet the entire time. No pressure at all, just let the bit do the cutting. I've drilled both horizontally and vertically. On a 1/4" glass it should take about 20 minutes for a single hole if you're being careful.

I'm going to be out of town for a week otherwise I'd be glad to help you do one.

Drive it to my house, I'll drill it on the driveway and you'll be on your way. 20 min per hole and I just ask for a donation to help cover the cost if the hole saw since I have to buy new after 25 holes to keep a good cut. I've drilled a lot of tanks (55+ tanks)

Haven't broken one yet, but like every shop that drills I don't promise yours wouldn't break, I just have a good record and success.

Make absolutely sure the bottom isn't tempered if that's where you are drilling. I know my ADA has a tempered bottom. Otherwise, I have used a cordless and a corded drill. You just want a constant speed. I think a clutch would be a bad idea in case it kicks in and catches or something.

Put a wet paper towel inside the drill bit. Use a spray bottle to keep the cut wet the entire time. No pressure at all, just let the bit do the cutting. I've drilled both horizontally and vertically. On a 1/4" glass it should take about 20 minutes for a single hole if you're being careful.

I'm going to be out of town for a week otherwise I'd be glad to help you do one.

I'm not sure if the bottom on this one is tempered, but I'll be drilling the back for a glass-holes overflow. From what I understand...the clutch is supposed to be set on the softest setting to help prevent that...but I only have a corded clutchless. I think I may have been too hasty in my practice drilling as well...doh.gif

I appreciate the offer though! smile.png

Drive it to my house, I'll drill it on the driveway and you'll be on your way. 20 min per hole and I just ask for a donation to help cover the cost if the hole saw since I have to buy new after 25 holes to keep a good cut. I've drilled a lot of tanks (55+ tanks)

Haven't broken one yet, but like every shop that drills I don't promise yours wouldn't break, I just have a good record and success.

I'll do you one better and give you my holesaw after we're done. You've certainly done your share of glass drilling...I'll PM you about stopping by sometime.

How can you tell if it is tempered glass?

The manufacturer typically tells you, but apparently you can use polarized sunglasses cool.png to verify as well.

Archived