Black clown

This morning my black clown fish is gone we got him about two weeks ago haven't seen any one picking on him he's been eating well but this morning he's no where to be found. I cant seem to find any remains or anything We have a fox face a damsel a green serpent star and a snowflake. Where could he have gone please help

Pretty sure it's a serpent star I was reading that there known for being fish eaters ive never had a problem with it before is this true? I've had a fish only tank for many years and just started coral so traded my non reef friendly fish and coral is doing great just trying to find the coprate who made my black nemo disappear so he can go to another tank thanks in advance for any advise

I've kept large multiple green brittle stars for years with small fish for years without problems. I have not seen an inordanate loss of fish in tanks I keep them in than in tanks I don't keep them in. I strongly suspect the reason green brittle stars have a reputation is not that they catch more fish than other species that stay in the rockwork but that when they find an incapacitated or dead fish they don't drag the body back in the rock like other species will do. They are not shy. They are opportunistic and if a small fish gets in under it and it can pin it it will catch and eat it. I think this is unlikely as even a mandarin is much faster than the starfish and I have observed a mandarine looking for food under one and the brittle star made no move towards it however a friend of mine says he saw this happen with a Royal Gramma that got directly under the body. Twice I have seen green brittle stars drap an arm across a fish when food was in the tank and not try to catch the fish and also the fish did not exhibit any concern. Heres the link to one I got on video. At the beginning of the video you can see how the brittle star responds to a piece of food before a fish is encountered by a second and ignored while looking for food.

Just like the police won't take a missing persons report till it's been 24 hrs, if your clown has only been missing for a few hours, you shouldn't panic yet; stories of fish gone missing only to pop up days or weeks later are legion in the hobby.

If the clown did die, it's more likely that it was ailing before you got it than that something in the tank killed it. If it did die, you can't blame the cuc from making fast work of the carcass... it's what they're in there for. But again, don't panic yet! He may rise like a Phoenix!

P. S. did you check around the tank for his body in case he jumped?

Do y'all think it could have been the snowflake he didn't look I'll at all

I had a wrasse that just didn't like my purple tang. The wrasse was out when there was no tang. I put the tang in, the wrasse disappeared for 3 days. I pulled the tang back out, and the wrasse reappeared like magic. I never saw the tang pick on him or anyone, and its really a gentle fish. I don't know why he didn't like the tang. I had to put the tang back in, and the wrasse just disappeared and never was seen again, not even a body. My guess is he crawled under a rock and starved himself to death. I never found any bodies behind or around the tank, so he didn't jump.

Before he vanished, when I first put him in he used to hide behind the overflow box so well I thought he had jumped out. Check behind all the equipment in your tank. A friend of mine had a clown that wandered into his overflow box and was stuck in there for a few days til he over filled the tank and she swam out again.

Other than that, it could be the serpent... Maybe there was an opportunity it couldn't pass up, or it was really hungry or something.

Had a black clown jump into an overflow that I swear couldn't be accessed (glass tops) before. Though you think they can't get there, they probably can :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived