Stars and Stripes Puffer and Coral

Jason & Amber

This is the wifey who wants to know if Puffers will peck at all coral or just the hard stuff. Jason already wants a bigger tank and I really want a puffer. I read if you feed them well they won't mess with it too much. Can I add coral that they like so they will mess with that and leave the other coral alone? Or am I just doomed all together? Thanks--Amber

Puffers grow fast and are predatory fish, and are best kept with other fish that are large and predatory (can hold their own). Your corals would be the least of your worries with a S & S puffer. if would most likely harass (kill) your other tank inhabitants including your entire cleanup crew, and anemones.

Juiceman has a porcupine puffer. So if you want a S&S and you want to get the hubby a bigger tank why not just tie both tanks together so he can have his corals and you can have your fish and other cool ones that most of us can't keep.

Same reason I don't have a trigger sad.png

My blue-jaw triggers have been model tank inhabitants and I've had no issues with them and corals or other fish. There are a few others (pink tail, etc) that are supposedly reef-safe as well. The main issue is that these guys love to swim, but they have wonderful personalities.

I have had success with puffers not eating corals before, but my dog face puffer loves coral. I used to have a hard time keeping coral in my 120g tank. I used to think it had something to do with the eel. I decided to move the puffer to my 90g that "HAD" tons of coral. Never saw him eat coral until he was surrounded by it. He has put a major dent on it. Loves Zoas the most. I had to start up a coral tank to remove the majority of it, but I can't stand a bare tank and left some. My schedule has changed, and so has their feeding time. After I put in a 12 hour day today, I came home to see a rock that was completely covered in nice zoas gone. Plus he has coral stings all over him. Maybe that will teach him a lesson.

Thanks everyone. I guess it's just a hit and miss depending on their personalities and if they get bored. What do the stings on their faces look like? I really wanted a fish with more personality because I heard you can train them almost like a dog and I just love their little faces. :) I might just have to continue to go to the fish store instead to see these little guys because I don't like bare tanks either. Thought about doing a freshwater one but that tank has cichlids and they would kill each other. What do y'all know about Tangs? Anyone have any? I heard the Hippo Tangs are not easy to keep alive, is that the same for all of them? And could I have a yellow tang, hippo, and blue powder all in the same tank? If my husband gets a bigger tank I want pretty fish.

Yes you can have tangs with a blue hippo being one of the better choices as a first one since their not as aggressive. After a month then I'd add the powder and yellow last. Very slow acclimation and if you can set up a qt tank better. Make sure your algae is in check and pick up a uv sterilizer to help prevent ich and use garlic extract on nori as well.

Archived