need to know what these are

Dustin Pedretti

i proly should have asked you first on the zoas lol...what are the red ones?...are these anything special/ valuable?...i did some frags tonight for a friend and i definatly have more that can be fragged...there so tight squeezed lol

thanks on the id

I think they're a way under appreciated zoa. They spread much more quickly than most and come in several colors. I have green, red and blue, and all 3 look the same and have the same growth pattern. They're not as valuable as some of the super rare or crazy colored zoas. But based on how easy they are to grow and how good they look, I think they a great coral.

Red ones are typically called eagle eyes, greed dragon eyes, not sure on the blue, or if you have any of them.

Here's some of mine under strong actinic LED's.

IMG_0002a_1024.jpg

Dustin, the reds are definitely eagle eyes. the frag of eagle eyes I got from you are far healther than the ones I originally got. I attribute that to the genetics of the colony though because they're mounted right next to each other, have identical colors, but the ones you gave me are just a touch bigger, brighter, and faster growing. It seems to be SUPER common to see eagle eye and radioactive dragon eye zoas growing together on the same rock. Looks like the majority of people who have one, will have the other growing in the exact same colony, or nearby.

actually on closer inspection, in the pic they look more like whammin watermelons. The only difference is that eagle eyes will have a yellow skirt and watermelons have a green skirt. The skirt from the frag off that colony you gave me looks definitely yellow in my tank, but it looks green in your pic there. It's one or the other.

I think they're a way under appreciated zoa. They spread much more quickly than most and come in several colors. I have green, red and blue, and all 3 look the same and have the same growth pattern. They're not as valuable as some of the super rare or crazy colored zoas. But based on how easy they are to grow and how good they look, I think they a great coral.

Red ones are typically called eagle eyes, greed dragon eyes, not sure on the blue, or if you have any of them.

IMG_0002a_1024.jpg

those blues look super awesome!...wanna trade some next time im around?

Dustin, the reds are definitely eagle eyes. the frag of eagle eyes I got from you are far healther than the ones I originally got. I attribute that to the genetics of the colony though because they're mounted right next to each other, have identical colors, but the ones you gave me are just a touch bigger, brighter, and faster growing. It seems to be SUPER common to see eagle eye and radioactive dragon eye zoas growing together on the same rock. Looks like the majority of people who have one, will have the other growing in the exact same colony, or nearby.

actually on closer inspection, in the pic they look more like whammin watermelons. The only difference is that eagle eyes will have a yellow skirt and watermelons have a green skirt. The skirt from the frag off that colony you gave me looks definitely yellow in my tank, but it looks green in your pic there. It's one or the other.

these things do seem to grow pretty quick...i got this rock alittle over a month ago...when i moved it lastnight...it had already spread a small (2-3p) frag to another rock and theres a ton of them growing on the under side of the rock...i just figured all zoas were like this but from what yall are telling me there not...oh well

Jonathan...i gave sara at least 30-40p last night using the method you told me about....it works great man...makes me want to frag more lol

Just passive fragging. Place or glue small rocks next to a colony and as they grow and spread just pick the rocks back out and you have a frag. Nothing super high tech or new but if you're not handy with a blade (me) and have fast growing zoas it's an easy effortless way to frag them

Just passive fragging. Place or glue small rocks next to a colony and as they grow and spread just pick the rocks back out and you have a frag. Nothing super high tech or new but if you're not handy with a blade (me) and have fast growing zoas it's an easy effortless way to frag them

Simple. I like it. Thx

+1 on the Whammin Watermelon. I don't think they're all the same in that colony, but the group on the middle right is definitely WW. I have a frag of those. The rest look like radioactive dragon's eye.

IMG_0002a_1024.jpg

Would you be willing to frag some of those blue ones for me? I'm the one Dustin fragged his green and reds for. I'd love some blues too. They sure do grow fast. Since I put them in the stalks have grown up a good inch on some of them, and the polyps have become massive.

What's the method for fragging y'all used

Actually Dustin got a carpet knife, wedged it up under the slime/root layer of the corals. You can peel it right up in a sheet of polyps all stuck together. It was great! Better than trying to cut the polyps...Also really easy to glue down!

Archived