Maxi mini anemone color change?

kmacc05

I am the owner of a new Maxi mini carpet anemone. I have been really intrigued by them lately.

My question is....

Can they change colors? In the tank at the store, it was about 4.5'' diameter and had brilliant greens mixed with different shades of orange and yellow. Now that it has been in my tank, it seems to be just green. No other colors besides the mouth and foot area. It's also still kind of closed up like it is getting used to the new home.

But then I started thinking. I walked away when I pointed out which maxi mini I wanted and when she went in to grab it. So now part of my mind is thinking she grabbed the wrong one. But then the other side of my brain is telling me that it is just a color change because of the new tank. Plus, the other minis in the tank were all the standard or more common colored, red mixed with dull green.

I tried looking it up, but wasn't able to find much on the subject. So, anyone here knowledgeable on maxi minis? I really hope she grabbed the right one. I'm pretty sure she did. It's just got me thinking. You all know how that can be.

Anyway, thanks in advance!

They can definitely look different under your lights versus theirs, and they can change color over time. One of my MMCAs went from being mostly green with red edging to mostly red with green edging over about a year. That was a slow, gradual change though. For a fast change, I would guess lights and/or stress.

stress is what I'm hoping. I sure liked the coloring it had at the store. It was under some kessils. It still looks awesome. Just worried about it since it is my first carpet anemone.

You might try finding out what LEDs or spectrum the Kessil has and compare it to your current lighting. My suspicion is your lighting has less blue but that's just a guess.

I have the AI Vega with about a 2:1 blue to white ratio via the controller. (and that changes throughout the day) I noticed they had the Kessil maxed out on both channels. So I would assume that would be a 1:1 there, correct? I don't want to change my lighting settings to try and match the color it was at the store. More of a question to see if this has happened to anyone else, or if anyone had any other info on maxi minis. If it stays all green, that's fine too. I know some fish change colors when they are startled or sleeping/hiding. My foxface used to camo into the rocks. And now, I've noticed my mandarin and tail spot blenny both also camo at night to blend in and hide. So I figured the carpet anemone was doing the same.

On another note, aren't BTAs classified as quad color anemones? They can range anywhere from green to red, or pink and yellow even. And they will change under different parameters. So, maybe this one is doing the same and it just is a lightly reviewed subject?

Archived