LIGHTING SUGGESTIONS

Jason & Amber

The wife and I are considering getting a tank with a 60"x30" footprint and 25" tall. She will only use LED, what LED fixtures would you recommend? Needs to light for coral

and I like the ones that do cloud cover or storms just not the price so what do you think?

Budget definitely matters. I have 2 AIs for sale with controller and they do lightening storms, not sure about cloud cover tho. But you'd need to find more units than just 2 to add to them. They definitely have the par to grow corals. I think radions do all that too.

Three 4' BML fixutres with an Apex controller. The four foots are going to throw a lot of light off to the side so that's what I would use on a 5' tank but BML makes a 5' fixture also. Another consideration is to use 2' fixtures going front to back like Mike Frames setup or diagonally like Photodude's setup here: http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/27146-my-new-bml-led-lighting/

FWIW I used the ai sol on my previous 55 gallon and I have a vega on my new 34. Before I went with the vega, I used a kessil 150. Was nice but didn't like the fact that you have to hook those to something like an apex. The sol had lightning storms without cloud cover and the Vega has cloud cover. The vega also has green and red spectrum. I don't think it does any good. Just spotlights red and green spots on the rock. But I've heard you can buy replacement pucks to customize the vega. I would've liked to go with radion, but they are wayyyy too proud of them. HTH

Archived