Something for my office

Robb in Austin

The light is a T5 4x24w Odyssea I got off Ebay. I've got some ATI bulbs coming in to replace the el cheapos that came with the fixture.

Flow is a K2. Going to pick up a small Aquaclear HOB for running carbon/gfo and added flow.

Caribsea Fiji pink sand.

Added some zoa rocks I got from Bio3. One of my orange legged hermits hitch hiked over this morning on the big rock.

Figure I'll give it a few weeks before I add any fish. Gonna go with a six line, royal gramma, and maybe a shrimp/goby combo.

http://www.austinreefclub.com//public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif office_tank_2.JPG

Those are ZOA rock from me not ric

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, the sixline and starry blenny are doing great. But, the royal gramma and sixline didn't get along so well and the RG died.

I'd still like to get something else in there but not sure about trying another RG.

Anyone got any ideas? Thoughts on a flame or coral beauty angel being in a 20L?

• 1 month later...

So, things are cruising along at the office.

I recently picked up a blue reef chromis and another royal gramma. And once again the six line bullied the royal gramma to death. The BRC is doing fine. I saw him cruising around with the six line today so I guess all is well now.

I'd like to start adding some frogspawn or hammer but am worried about the amount of light I have. I thought this fixture would be sufficient but I'm not seeing a lot of zoa growth so I think I may be under lighted. Poop.

In the back right corner you can see a cup which is holding my 2 green rics in place. I couldn't get them to attach to anything in my home tank or in the office tank but they seem happy in that cup. They haven't even attached to the cup!

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

post-371-0-24384900-1380763260_thumb.jpg

4 t5 fixture? I think a frogspawn would do fine in there. I had great growth under an Odyssea 4 bulb t5 fixture in my 33. Frogspawn did better than zoas for me.

youre not seeing zoa growth out of 4x24?! what color/bulb types are you running? I have crazy growth out of a 2x39w running ATI Super Actinic, and Blue Plus. I was getting better growth under the crappy 10k stock bulbs, but horrible color :D Have you tried giving them a little friendly damage (frag) to get them into growth mode?

I'm using ATI bulbs. I don't recall which bulbs exactly but I'm _think_ it's 2 Blue +, 1 color +, and 1 aquablue spelcial.

The big rock on the left, full of green zoas, has shown some growth but not a ton. I've got some orange ones on the little rock in the middle that have done diddly.

I wish there was a way to lower the fixture height but still keep it supported off the tank. Anyone want to fabricate some legs that are about an inch tall?

I change 5g every 2 weeks, using Tropic Marin from RCA. The Aquaclear is for extra movement and running carbon/GFO.

I'd argue, somewhat lightly, that the tank is dirty. I'm underfiltered in terms of live rock amount, no skimming, heavy feeding, 25% water change bi monthly. The cyano I've got going might say the same.

Regardless, I'll try some frogspawn and a plate coral and we'll see what happens.

Did a water change on the 8th, came in to a dead blue reef chromis on the 9th, and a dead starry blenny on the 11th. :(

I had RCA check the water and it looked good/normal.

The 6 line, zoas, and inverts are all going strong.

I think I'll let it be for a while before trying to add anymore fish.

• 4 months later...

Well, this is now a 'something small at home' build.

Moved the system to home tonight. We'll see what becomes of it. I moved the majority of the livestock into the 75. Left 4 rocks plus the giant zoa rock in there. I moved most of the livestock because I expect a mini cycle due to moving everything and stirring up the sand bed.

Maybe I'll make it a mini-FOWLR and drop a angler in there. Hmmmmmm. Open to ideas though so if you got em, share em.

• 3 months later...

Tank has been running along just fine. I put a tail spot, fire fish, and goby/prawn combo in a while back. I lost my tail spot and fire fish for no apparent reason over the last 6-8 weeks.

Until today.

Found a gorilla grab when I fed the tank this morning. He must have hitch hiked in and remained very well hidden. I'm just surprised he was in there for this long and never seen him before.

Archived