Help with new tank set up

fishypets

I'm thinking about setting up a small scale reef tank in my living room and need some help. I'm thinking I want to stick with a small tank, maybe under 100 gallons and try to keep SPS and maybe a clam or two. What would you recommend as far as equipment and how much should I plan on spending for a turn key tank?

Thanks in advance-

Clint

Mmmmmm.....well i have a 72 gal bowfrnt, xp2 filter, rena HOB protien skimmer, satellite 4/65 PCs dual daylight and dual actinic. (1) 40w 50/50 coralife bulb, 110 lbs live rock, 3/40lb bags of live sand, 2 pwr heads, timer, mmmmmmmm..... and that equates to around 1700.00 (+/-300). Maybe that a good ballpark figure. this is my tank with this setup minus the corals.cleanup001.jpg

A small 100 gallon tank? LOL!! Isn't that an oxymoron?

I have a 105g reef tank and I've spent:

$300 - tank w/ stand

$125 - sump

$600 - lights

$30 - heater

$50 - return pump

$300 - skimmer

$80 - live sand

$600 - live rock

$80 - overflow box

$60 - plumbing

$180 - R/O DI 60gpd unit

$60 - salt

$100 - "clean up crew"

$100 - powerheads

$30 - light timer

$20 - auto top off

$20 - valves and 1/4in. compression tubing

That comes out to about $2,750. That doesn't include any of my corals, fish, algae, foods, supplements, cleaning and backup equipment, etc. That's also considering I bought the tank, stand, and return pump as used. I would plan on around $3000.

$1700.00 for a 72 gal tank???? Geezzzz maybe I should stick to cross-stitching!

Gkarshens I don't know who's tank you are talking about but I know it's not mine. Nothing nice about browned out zoos. :)

Andrew how's your tank doing? When you get ready to upgrade to something a little nicer, let me know I might know someone interested in yours. ^_^

You know you have it bad when you dream about acros and cleaning out your skimmer cup even after you've been out of the hobby for almost a year. Heck I even bought a house on Coral Ridge thinking that would cure my itch but it hasn't. Now only if I can convince my wife I need to spend two months salary on a new tank I'll be set!

Especially for sps, you can figure about $20 per gallon before coral and fish if you buy alot used, and make some cut corners such as buying good base rock and seeding with some live. For softies I would say about $10 per gallon. Top of the line all new stuff youll easily go over $40.

Andrew how's your tank doing? When you get ready to upgrade to something a little nicer, let me know I might know someone interested in yours. ^_^

You know you have it bad when you dream about acros and cleaning out your skimmer cup even after you've been out of the hobby for almost a year.

It's doing great. Someone with a sharp sense for the hobby really laid out a good foundation for me. Swing by and check out the growth sometime. Heck, I'll even let you clean out the skimmer.