Injured Sea Cucumber

My red sea cucumber has a nasty tear near the middle of his body. His insides are coming out...and it looks horrible but he's still alive! I've read that they have pretty good rejuvenation abilities but this seems too bad for him to come back from. I'm also worried that he could be releasing toxins into the water. Not sure if I should let him try to heal or take him out. Has anyone had a sea cucumber survive a bad injury? Any advice is appreciated.

Can you set up any type of quarantine tank? I'm not positive about the injury, but I would think it would be best in a sterile quarantine environment to heal and if it were to pass not cause any issues with your display tank.

I don't have a QT set up but I was able to get him into a small in tank breeder that floats at the surface. So no one can mess with him and he get out. He's still moving around and acting fairly normal...not sure he even knows he's sliced open :(.

This is experimental but one thing you might try is treating it in a bucket with the antibiotic metronadiozol that is used for ick. If you used piece of rock or two did daily 25% water changes from your established DT you shouldn't have to worry about ammonia for the 5 - 7 days it would take.

^Same The same thing happened to my Tiger Tail(Not as flashy, but mine has a torn head), what i did was just let it heal on it's own.

Sea Cucumber will excrete it's organs/intestine when stressed, and regrow those excreted organs as time passes(very hard), so it's possible yours will be fine, given the fact that it is healthy enough to sustain 2-3weeks of starvation.

I would not recommend putting him in the breeder box, maybe back on the sand or in the rock crevice, where he can wedge him self into rock where no one can pick at his wound.

As long as your water quality is not fluctuating, try to hold back on feeding to almost none(from fouling the water), then i think it would heal on it's own.

Dont have picture of my tiger tail when it got injured, but it took around 3 weeks for mine to regrow it's mouth part and start showing signs of activity.

BUT dont take my word as word of professional, i've only seen this 'once' in my tank, and was lucky i didn't do anything stupid to it.... More of less, wish you the best of luck.

P.S Activated Carbon cant hurt...

Not sure if yours inspired mine or what, but last night I noticed that my tiger cuc has apparently split. I now see him (them) extending from rocks at two opposite ends of my tank.

Archived