48" fixture for 90 Gallon

slowwrx137

I currently have 4 T5ho bulbs on my 90 gallon tank and was wondering how one of the 48" buildmyled lights would compare.

Its a fowlr tank so light isn't important for growing anything but I don't want it to be super dark. Would I need 2 of the 48" light fixtures?

I have one on my 90 and it's really bright. I'm adding more light because I'm going to be growing coral, but as for looks and fish only, one is perfect! If it's convenient you're welcome to stop by and see what you think.

I currently have 4 T5ho bulbs on my 90 gallon tank and was wondering how one of the 48" buildmyled lights would compare.

Its a fowlr tank so light isn't important for growing anything but I don't want it to be super dark. Would I need 2 of the 48" light fixtures?

I have one on my 90 and it's really bright. I'm adding more light because I'm going to be growing coral, but as for looks and fish only, one is perfect! If it's convenient you're welcome to stop by and see what you think.

Same here I have 1 of the 48 inch fixtures over my 90. it has 70 degree optics and is custom reef spectrum. Your welcome to stop by and look at it to help you visualize.

For a mixed reef tank with SPS, we usually estimate 1 foot of our lights for every 10 gallons. This works for most tanks up to ~180 gallons. After that, many big tanks do not have corals everywhere in the tank. Hence, we will create a 3D lighting design model for the larger tanks.

Having said that, two 48" fixtures is plenty for a 55. Most corals can accept a wide range of light levels, and more light usually ranslates into more growth and improved coloration with SPS.

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

For a mixed reef tank with SPS, we usually estimate 1 foot of our lights for every 10 gallons. This works for most tanks up to ~180 gallons. After that, many big tanks do not have corals everywhere in the tank. Hence, we will create a 3D lighting design model for the larger tanks.

Having said that, two 48" fixtures is plenty for a 55. Most corals can accept a wide range of light levels, and more light usually ranslates into more growth and improved coloration with SPS.

Nick

We have a 185 gallon tank it is 60Lx30Wx24H. You said that for tanks over 180 you can create a 3D lighting design model for bigger ones. Is that just the way the lights would be set up or a different light? I am not wanting to mount them to the tank because I don't want to have to move them when I need to get into the tank. I was planning on having them at least 6" off the tank but from what I read they need to be closer. I am having problems trying to find lights to cover the footprint that I have. Most cover up to 24" and I don't want the front part or the back part of the tank dark. Any suggestions?

Nick

We have a 185 gallon tank it is 60Lx30Wx24H. You said that for tanks over 180 you can create a 3D lighting design model for bigger ones. Is that just the way the lights would be set up or a different light? I am not wanting to mount them to the tank because I don't want to have to move them when I need to get into the tank. I was planning on having them at least 6" off the tank but from what I read they need to be closer. I am having problems trying to find lights to cover the footprint that I have. Most cover up to 24" and I don't want the front part or the back part of the tank dark. Any suggestions?

Hello. Sorry for the delay in finding your question! What do you have in your tank? Is this a full mixed reef with SPS? Let me know, and we will post a recommendation for you.

Thanks,

Nick

Nick

PS - Our linear fixtures provide great uniformity in larger tanks, as we do not use LED 'clusters' that produce bright and dark spots. Here is a 374G tank we recently completed.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Nick

PS - Our linear fixtures provide great uniformity in larger tanks, as we do not use LED 'clusters' that produce bright and dark spots. Here is a 374G tank we recently completed.

Nick

Nick, did those "radium clones" become your 14000k lights?

Archived