Stocking plan for my 90gal

KimP

....Goby/shrimp pair

This is one of the things I hated most after setting up my tank!! If you do go with the pistol I do not recommend the tiger pistol as it demolishes everything on the sand bed. I was never able to keep corals on the sand bed!

I'd start with the firefish and blenny and maybe the shrimp/goby combo. After that, I'd do it based on size.

is this generally the bigger (more territorial) later so that the smaller guys can get their spots?

I like that plan as well. My fish came with my tank so I was limited on what I can add afterward, but if I were starting over I'd go with the smallest-meekest fish first and make sure they're eating real well before adding the bigger ones

Can anyone recommend the order these fish should be added?

I don't see any aggressive fish on your list. The most aggressive should be last, to allow timid or docile fish a stress free adjustment to tank life. Have you considered a school of Cardinale Fish. I have a school of 15 Five Spot Cardinals that line up in the water column and dither about. Until you get more than three in a school, the behavior does not take place. I have also found that with many in a school, aggression is diffused. Initially, I purchased these fish as juveniles for $5 each. At 7 months some of these fish are showing alpha male aggression. However, with so many in school of fish the aggression is shared by all and it is diffused so that no one fish is ganged up on.

I have noticed young children's attention to hermits, crabs and brittle stars.

I am enjoying following your thread.

Patrick

Yes of course, brittle star! He'd love that.

So I'm having trouble finding out where each of these fish like to be. Am I picking out all bottom dwellers? All fish that wanna be at the top? Can anyone chime in on where these fish like to hang out? Or where I can find that info out.

I think you'll have a very good mix of bottom, middle, and top fish. I would add a sea cucumber from Patrick as kids and adults are fascinated by it as well as a Linckia Starfish and Sand Shifting starfish.

So I'm having trouble finding out where each of these fish like to be. Am I picking out all bottom dwellers? All fish that wanna be at the top? Can anyone chime in on where these fish like to hang out? Or where I can find that info out.

Brittle star? Aren't those fish-eaters? Maybe go for a mini-brittle if you can find them. I got one on some live rock, along with some micro-stars.

Eh, they're opportunistic. They're no more dangerous to keep than an anemone or a big weslo brain coral. If a slow fish finds itself right up to the beasts mouth it may get eaten. Unlikely they'll be able to catch one

Brittle star? Aren't those fish-eaters? Maybe go for a mini-brittle if you can find them. I got one on some live rock, along with some micro-stars.

The Green Serpent Star is more than opportunistic. It s an active hunter of small healthy fish. Very unique hunting posture. It will lay in wait with main body raised above substrate until some fish goes under its mouth. I have seen healthy clowns get caught as I watched.

Patrick

The Green Serpent Star is more than opportunistic. It s an active hunter of small healthy fish. Very unique hunting posture. It will lay in wait with main body raised above substrate until some fish goes under its mouth. I have seen healthy clowns get caught as I watched.

Patrick

My clowns sleep on the bottom, and look dead, during the night. I'm surprised they make it through the night. They lay there, on the bottom, like a pile of logs. They look dead and then pop up every morning. They would be EASY pickings in the dark hours.

Patrick

My clowns sleep on the bottom, and look dead, during the night. I'm surprised they make it through the night. They lay there, on the bottom, like a pile of logs. They look dead and then pop up every morning. They would be EASY pickings in the dark hours.

"A pile of logs", I must laugh as I visualize that. I have a pair of clowns that are hosting in a small anemone. The female is so big, she uses up all of the mattress. The small male sleeps on the gravel next to the tentacles. Every now and again, the male tries to snuggle in to the nest, but the queen is not moving over. One year ago, I introduced five juvenile clowns in the same tank that the female had occupied for several years. During the course of that first evening, mama clown, the Queen was encouraging the newly introduced juveniles into the anemone tentacles. I had just installed some underwater LED that were red and I was observing this tank after lights out. Out of the darkness, into the red illumination came Coral Banded Shrimp. With a flash of speed, Mama Clown drove Coral Banded back into hiding.

Archived