Sump Setup

This is my sump setup. Let me know what you think i should do to make it better. Dont really want sand or mud. planning on getting a skimmer and possibly a double reactor.

Let me know what you think!

post-1500-0-51855200-1368803790_thumb.jp

Skip the sand and mud. I've tried both and they eventually cause more problems than they are worth. Instead buy a few dollars of live rock rubble and put it in there. No less than 3 inches IMO.

Definitely add a union fitting to the pump. The mud system I ran worked quite well and surprisingly kept phosphates under .11 mg/l P (.34 mg/l PO43) for over three years without the use of a skimmer and without having to change any mud as is typically suggested. I also like the idea of using live rock rubble like Sashca D. suggested creating a Tyree Zonal system. Pick what you think is going to be easiest to maintain for the next 20 years.

I've heard clear tubing allows algae growth in the tube. But it also seems that it would allow you to see pRobLems in the tube. So is this just one of those pros and cons that are weighed in every decision.

should i put my skimmer in the first chamber or in the middle?

Personal preference on where to place it

also how do i keep cheato?

Put it in a glass box with water and a light (of course some sort of nutrient like fish waste in the water) :) That easy.

should i put my skimmer in the first chamber or in the middle? also how do i keep cheato?

In the trash can, well I guess you could sell it to someone. hmm.png I wouldn't bother with one.

I dont really fully understand the skimmer, but the green stuff it pulls out sold me. Will 2 panaroma stunner strips work for cheato?

You can keep chaeto with some cheap plant bulbs from Home Depot.

I dont really fully understand the skimmer, but the green stuff it pulls out sold me. Will 2 panaroma stunner strips work for cheato?

The short answer is that stuff that is floating in your water attaches to bubbles and collects in the cup. People who like skimmers like them because it removes the stuff from their tank. People who don't like skimmers think that stuff is beneficial and want to keep it in there.

Archived