Who PIJAC is and why you should care

mFrame

As Kevin Kohen, LiveAquaria.com Director said,

"PIJAC [The Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council] is incredibly important to the Pet Industry and especially important to the Marine Aquarium Industry. Drs. Foster and Smith are staunch supporters of PIJAC, and are proud to be a member. PIJAC is comprised of professionals who are advocates for animal care and environmental stewardship initiatives.

I strongly encourage everyone, from aquarium enthusiasts to public aquaria, and all of us who make our livelihoods in the marine ornamentals trade to lend your financial support to PIJAC so that we have a unified voice and proper representation. By doing so we can help to achieve a viable and sustainable marine aquarium trade for many years to come, while helping to ensure proper management of our coral reefs and marine habitats which so people around the globe rely on for sustenance.”

In the coming months you're sure to see their name more often (like here). Take some time and find out about them. If you agree with their goals, consider supporting them. There aren't many groups out there fighting to help us and our hobby.

PIJAC is a great organization and I have had to privilege of speaking with a few of the directors and everything they represent is very honorable. I know there is a group for Reptiles called USARK but is there an Aquatic one? The only down side to PIJAC is that they are so broad that some small issues get past them. I would love to support an aquatic group as well.

I know PIJAC was very active when the collection of Yellow Tangs in Hawaii was being threatened. Their website is a good place to keep up with pending legislation at the federal, state and local levels that affect those of us keeping pets of any kind.

Archived