Recent downtime and Data Loss

As most of you know, the site encountered a problem around 8pm on May 14th. Our server host upgraded hardware and as part of the process they backed up the site and database. Around midnight they switched to the new hardware and restored the database copy, losing everything that happened in that 4-5 hour window. This was annoying to both you and me, but you were all very understanding and did your best to recreate the missing content. We were moving on.

In an attempt to restore the missing content from a different database backup, we determed that the original restore to the new hardware corrupted the database. This corruption continued to grow over the last day and a half. In fixing that data corruption we have now lost data from late on the 14th through this morning. I'm very sorry, but there's nothing that can be done to recover it. Even attempts to revert to the corrupted database backup don't work. This means that all posts, PMs, and images that were loaded over the last two days will be missing if they were involved with the corruption.

I know it's a huge pain for everyone here. Trust me, I know. That said, there's little that can be done except to move forward. The staff and I do our best to minimize server upgrades and downtime here, but every now and then the tech just bites us. I appreciate your patience and understanding and will do my best to make sure we don't have to go through this again.

Mike

Running multiple racks and servers in a data-center now for about 13 years, I totally understand how "stuff" can happen no matter the planning, backups, etc. Thanks for all the work it takes to keep things going!

Archived