Another Tunze Wavebox vs VorTech question

Wade

Is there enough room in a 72 gal bowfront for a wavebox or would the VorTech MP40w be just as good (or almost as good) with a much smaller footprint? I've already got the overflow box in the left corner so I don't want to take up the other corner with a wave box. It's about the same expense either way. Also, for those who are using the VorTechs are you using just one on one side and some other powerhead on the other or are you using two of the VorTechs?

I have an mp40 and a tunze wavebox in my 90, I was never able to get a wave going using my mp40 (I may need 2) in my 90 like I was with my mp10 in my 30 gallon

as someone who owns both...i like them both...but the vortech is MUCH smaller

Both.

I have a nano wavebox and mp40 on my standard 75 and am very happy. Yes, the mp40 will make a wave but then you lose pure flow.

I always ran my mp40 in the reef crest mode and was happy but when I added the wavebox I became ecstatic! Wave motion plus pure random flow=best of both worlds IMO.

Edit to add: I only ran the one mp40. I have it on the opposite side of my return and had the return aimed at the mp40 in order to try to create some randomness and gyre type flow. I also ran it at about 35% of max. It will cover 4 ft without difficulty. Anything that is close to it, with the pump running 100%, WILL be moved or very unhappy.

It looks like the nano wavebox has been discontinued:(

edit: The Comline® Wavebox 6508 appears the be the update replacement:)

So I'm thinking that my best bet would be similar to Robb's setup. A Comline® Wavebox 6508 and an MP40w ES at opposite ends. Since I have my overflow box on the left I can put the MP40 on that end and the wavebox at the other end. Thank god for tax returns! I wonder if I would need another small powerhead in the middle pointing at the front glass or would that be overkill?

Sounds like a good plan. Having more flow is not really a bad thing, depending on what you want to keep obviously, but between the wavebox and the mp40 you'll probably be ok. I'd suggest starting there and see how you like it once they are up and running.

I have my wavebox pointed the length of the tank, but it will work facing forward as well. My mp40 is in the middle of the side glass, about 1/3 down from the rim.

I have the 6215 wavebox in my 90 (mounted to the back pointed to the front)...it is a beast and can make a wave in seconds. but is huge (4x4x11 I think) . in a 75 I think you would have to have 2 vortechs to make a wave without a wavebox. I have sucessfully had a 3" wave with a single mp10 in a solana...but that is a different story.

currently in a 90 (which i think is the same length as your tank - 36") I have a 6215 wavebox on one end, mp40 on the opposite side and a tunze powerhead of unknown model pointing a the front glass to disrupt flow

My rank is 48". It sounds like a good place to start is with the wavebox and one mp40. I just bought 2 Koralias a few months ago because they were were supposed to be controllable, but they aren't really and they make a clicking noise every time they activate. I think if I had them fluctuating the way you would need to in order to create a wave like state that I would burn them up in a couple of days and the clicking would drive me nuts. I'll just move them to my QT tank that I need to set up.

Archived