The Madsalt 180

madsalt

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

What wrasse is that in the picture?

If you are referring to the pics towards the top of the page, those are a pair of flame wrasses

Oh nice! I had an internal debate with myself trying to figure out what wrasse that was.

Any Updates?

Still not getting SPS corals to survive. My nitrates were high so I am bringing those down. My other parameters have been pretty stable with no major swings. I did a test to see if my lighting was the problem and all three pieces bleached out even though they were at three different levels in the tank. I am at a loss.

I did not have good luck with SPS until I started checking alk and adjusting my dosers pretty much daily. But I have a small tank ... The other thing that I believe helped me was matching up the alk in fresh saltwater to what the tank was measuring. Often the new saltwater had a way higher alk than the tank (I try to keep mine around 8.75 dkh). So just doing a water change was causing a swing for me. I'm not saying that's what you are experiencing, it's just my own personal experience with alk. Once I really started getting a good understanding and handle on alk in my tank things got waaaaay better.

Archived