The Madsalt 180

madsalt

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok ARC I need a little input here. I am currently stocking the tank and I am looking for some fish advice.

My current stock:

1 Scopas Tang

1 Copperband Butterfly

1 Green Coris Wrasse

1 Pseudochromis

2 Maroon Clowns - the wife is an Aggie

3 Green Chromis

So now what I want:

1 Yellow Tang

1 Flame Angel

1 Fuzzy Dwarf Lion - probably the last to go in.

3 Convict Tangs

Any suggestions would be great. I plan on having more corals so fish on the edge of being reef safe are an option. Iknow these are your standard saltwater fish so I open to ideas for things that are not so common. Puffer and trigger options would work and maybe an eel (some worry here but I have seen them in peaceful tanks). Other tang options as well.

There are different kinds of "Reef Safe" and every fish guy has to make a choice between the two. Fish that are not reef safe are labeled that way because they either eat corals or inverts (shrimp, crabs, etc.). For example, Triggers don't eat coral but they eat all of your inverts, while Butterflies are the opposite. They are both not reef safe, but different in the reasoning. It also depends what kind of reef you want. Angelfish are not reef safe, but you can keep them with SPS.

What kind of corals do you want to keep? Also, do you want ornimental inverts like different shrimp and crabs?

Sad update, I lost my Copperband and Pseudochromis. No idea what happened. Both of them were active and eating extremely well, came in and both were gone. All of the other fish in the tank are doing great. They had both been in the tank for about a week, with no signs of any problems. The only thing I did was a water change and I did it out of my sump so I did not disturb the display tank. Very sad.

Copperbands have poor survival rates and are super sensitive. That might explain that one but the psuedochromis are rock steady, so I'm surprised on its death. Either way, sorry for the loss.

For the copperband, I've heard they can die just from their sensitive fins being damaged with a net so if you can get one that hasn't been netted, that would be ideal. Also, they are super sensitive to copper medications for QT so something less harsh should be used before introduction into your main tank.

shame about your fish. i hate the mystery losses after only having them a week or so. i always question "did i do that?" or "were these duds?"

Yea I rack my brain trying to figure out if there was something I did that was off just enough to cuase the problem.

Copperbands have poor survival rates and are super sensitive. That might explain that one but the psuedochromis are rock steady, so I'm surprised on its death. Either way, sorry for the loss.

For the copperband, I've heard they can die just from their sensitive fins being damaged with a net so if you can get one that hasn't been netted, that would be ideal. Also, they are super sensitive to copper medications for QT so something less harsh should be used before introduction into your main tank.

When I got them neither of them were netted and they were doing great and then flash gone. They were both eating great, The Copperband was picking at the rocks and accepting the food I was putting in like Johnny on the Spot. It was funny because the Cooperband and my Scopas were all buddy and would swim every together. Well maybe I'll give it a try later on down the road, I really like the Copperbands

LED ordered

I was able to finally order my third BML light. I went with a custom spectrum. I wanted a super actinic blue but also wanted the purple wave, I talked to the folks at BML and this is what was suggested. Basically they took the super actinic and removed four of the UVs and replaced them with a red,this will give the blue that I want along with the hue of the purple. This should look pretty nice when I get it over the tank. The image is how the light will repeat every 12 inches

post-2485-0-17887900-1394829546_thumb.jp

So I lost some tank friends but I was able to get some new ones and they are doing great. Here they are, thanks to Nikos for the Monti and the Duncan at the ARC meeting

post-2485-0-98949600-1395073444_thumb.jp

post-2485-0-04276300-1395073466_thumb.jp

post-2485-0-28180700-1395073480_thumb.jp

post-2485-0-03475300-1395073496_thumb.jp

post-2485-0-06754900-1395073507_thumb.jp

Congrats on the Jedi Mindtrick. I picked one up myself!

Is that a Red Knobby Sea Star?

The Jedi looks even better now than in the pic and yes that is a red knobby

Have you decided not to keep corals? The Red Knob Sea Star eats soft corals. No Zoa's, Paly's or Mushrooms for sure. They are also very sensitive to changes in water chemistry like the Duncan coral.

Have you decided not to keep corals? The Red Knob Sea Star eats soft corals. No Zoa's, Paly's or Mushrooms for sure. They are also very sensitive to changes in water chemistry like the Duncan coral.

I have to see it even go near my corals. I had one in my tank before I moved and that one never touched my corals either

I haven't seen it go near my corals. I had one in my tank before I moved and that one didn't touch my corals either.

So Jake at RCA finally let go of some of the blue zoas and I was able to snag some. Now he just needs to let go of the yellow ones.

Sorry the pic isn't great, I'll post a better one when the lights are at 100%

post-2485-0-52539400-1395147155_thumb.jp

Archived