Lps torch's sudden death!?

ct67stang

My dt is mainly lps; acans, hammers, big blastos, torches, etc. I noticed one torch colony was randomly closing one or two heads at a time. Which didnt happen before. I havent moved it or done anything different. I checked all my parameters and they are where they need to be. So my question, is there any hitchhiker that will attack lps? Is there a recommended dip for torch coral or lps coral in general? Thanks in advance for your help

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

any jelly like substance on the torch at all?

another coral maybe growing bigger and extending out to war?

perhaps you should move it and see if it stops since its doing it where it is?

Ph 7.8

Sg 1.023

Nitrate 0

Alk. 12

Amonia 0

Phos. .04

Been this way for a month or so.

Let me know if im missing anything

The only difference from a month ago was a high phosphate issue 1.3 was the reading, if i remember correctly. I syphoned my sand and added phosguard and my dt has been thriving since. Huge polyp extencion.

That's ALK is pretty high but if its been consistent there with everything happy, then idk.

Make sure nothing is brushing it. You'd be surprised how long lps sweeper tenticles get at night.

If there's any brown slime, get it off of it. That can bother it too. May be a good idea to frag off the affected heads.

I had an Aviapora that dropped from a ledge, as far as I could tell it dropped and landed on the rock it was attached to, I did not see any damage. It did not open much the next two days, I figured it was just pissed, and the third day it was gone. You indicated that yours was not moved so not sure if maybe something fell on it?

That's ALK is pretty high but if its been consistent there with everything happy, then idk.

Make sure nothing is brushing it. You'd be surprised how long lps sweeper tenticles get at night.

If there's any brown slime, get it off of it. That can bother it too. May be a good idea to frag off the affected heads.

Yea it is high. I tested it just before i posted so might do a water change. I already removed the twin head that had the brown stuff. I noticed that if thay brown stuff gets on other coral it starts to kill it too. So i get it out asap. One thing that has changed is i bought a power head and it kinda changed to water flow. That torch colony lost alot of flow. Could that have done it? I moved it to better flow after i removed the infected head.

yep, claimed our torch before. Take it out, clip off all of the affected heads, and hope you can save the others in QT. Also, i wouldnt recommend adding another torch to your tank for a while, as the bacteria may still be present.

Heres my 50+ hammer colony. Its lways fully extended and happy.

uhyta2an.jpg

And here is the green torch with the issue.post-2984-136823699992_thumb.jpg looks like the closed head is next :(

Lost that head this morning. It had three mouths:( so once this happens theres nothing that can be done? Ive removed that head and think might just cut all the heads off to try and save something out of that colony. There nothing i can dose?. A couple days ago a yuma shroom fell on a lobo and the yuma looked like it was losing the fight. When i removed it it had lots of slime on the contacted area. theyre both fine now but maybe thats where the issue started.

If theres something i can do to save these please let me know. Thanks

I lost a whole colony of frogspawn to coral war due to the slime. I also lost 4 heads of the same torch corals that we both got due to it too. I trashed the infected 1's and kept the 3 heads that were good. They are finally starting to get back to were they were previously. Hopefully I'm done with moving the corals, so I won't have this problem anymore. Mine was always due to movement.

Remove all infected heads/colonies and do so without letting the slime free in your tank. This stuff took out my 50 head torch colony and acts FAST. Far better to lose a few-headed colony than to risk losing your big one by keeping it.

One of my previous posts documenting its progression here

Archived