Help ID please

SChrisEV

Noob question here can you just remove that polyp or cut it off of it?

Where do they come from do they just show up or did it hitch hike in on something?

smile.png Yeah, way can't I just pull this colony out, and go over it well, remove them? Also anything that will naturally go after these? IF that is indeed what it is.

First, removing just the adults you can see is pointless. They lay eggs by the thousands in crevices and holes, where you can't see them. I've heard a few people saying they have luck with sixline wrasses. The "for sure" way to get rid of them is to put every last zoa into quarantine (this will starve them out of the main tank), then dip your zoas every 3-4 days until you don't see any more, and hold the zoas in qt for at least another 4 weeks or so, until you are sure there are no more of them.

Zoa eating nudies are a zoa keepers nightmare. They are hard to get rid of once you have them. Going full bore with qt, dipping, and close observation is the only true way to get rid of them forever. They normally hitchike in as eggs, or as adults that are not seen. And the dips that we use will kill the adults, but does not kill the eggs.

The 6 line was on my list, I had one many years ago and really liked them, but was waiting to build up my pod population a lot, so I could add a Mandarinfish then the 6 line after.Looks like that plan is not gunna work.

Absolutely, 100% zoa eating nudis. No doubt about it.

Time for qt. Even with a sixline, there's no guarantee that you won't lose every last zoa. I battled them one time, and I won. But I used the qt/dip/removal method because my wrasse wasn't eating them (they just look like they would taste bad, so I can't blame him).

What sux, I do have a 10g tank that I can use for a QT, but I was not really ready to set it all up. So are there any issues in plumbing this 10 into my existing sump? Or will that allow the Nudi to work their way back into the display tank?

I have some dragon eye zoa that have attached to a base rock, so those will not becoming out. I will pull the majority of them.

Thanks for the ID Sherita, but at least now I have an idea of that I am up against. What do you suggest I use for a dip on the Zoas?

For a dip, I use Bayer Insecticide (no, I am NOT joking). You can get it at Home Depot, in a blue bottle with a silver label "Bayer Advanced Insect Killer". Use 2cc per cup of water (use tank water for the dip), let sit in the dip for 5 minutes, rinse in fresh saltwater, then use a magnifying glass to look for, and remove, any eggs you can find.

don't plumb your qt into your sump, the eggs will just wind up back in your dt. Get a small hob filter, and a pc or t5 light. Since you won't be feeding anything in the qt it will be easier to maintain. Water changes every couple of days, have Prime or Amquel on hand in case of an ammonia spike. And let the battle begin. If you have any questions, feel free to pm, or call me if you need to 32five, 2one4, zero1three5

What sux, I do have a 10g tank that I can use for a QT, but I was not really ready to set it all up. So are there any issues in plumbing this 10 into my existing sump? Or will that allow the Nudi to work their way back into the display tank?

I have some dragon eye zoa that have attached to a base rock, so those will not becoming out. I will pull the majority of them.

Thanks for the ID Sherita, but at least now I have an idea of that I am up against. What do you suggest I use for a dip on the Zoas?

Chris,

Pull all zoa to a new tank that is a seperate system.

Dip with Coral RX or a lugols solution. Repeat this as long as sherita said above. starve them out of your DT.

good luck :)

Does lugols iodine kill the adults? Peroxide is great for killing any pest algae that may come in I know that much. I've always dipped any soft tissue corals (zoas, leathers, lps) in lugols. I use Bayer for all sps. Can we confirm that Bayer is safe for softies AND kills nudis? I wonder why NOTHING seems to kill eggs. Why is it that pest eggs seem to be impervious to everything yet good eggs like fish eggs or otherwise seem to be so delicate

Archived