1700 Gallon Tank

victoly

Thanks for all the new welcome messages!

Wow, there was a LOT of interest in the RBTAs both in the thread and in PM! I did have a 'bulk buy' offer come through fairly early, so I may not be able to accommodate many of the onesie-twosie requests. After the first guy picks up what he can accommodate tomorrow I will see what is left and start down the list beginning with first responder Capt. Obvious.

Regarding questions about the new system, I'd prefer to keep all of those to the RC thread, and focus on Austin-specific stuff here.

Speaking of, the next Austin-specific topic is the 750g tank. I need to get rid of the tank by June 1 to make room for the fish room build out. I'm not looking to get cash for it, just for it to go to a good home. If multiple folks are interested-- and convince me they have the ability to get it moved in time-- then priority goes to the person with the best story of how they'll use it. Part of the price is that you have to take the 300g sump and the steel stand as well. Note that moving this thing will be a huge pain. Pretty much the only option is a full-size pickup with very good tires and a minimum of 7 strong guys. The driveway entrance is too steep for any sort of flatbed or panel van, and the main body is too steep for a truck with remotely bald tires to get traction.

-Paul

My girlfriend was reading over my shoulder and said no before I could even say anything >.< If anyone needs help moving it I would be glad to assist as best I can.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to witness not only this build in progress first-hand, but Paul's beautiful home and generosity as well. Bio^3 and I assisted in removing the live rock from the old tank as well as removing some rbta and corals (look for these to show up in the free section soon).

I also got wade waist deep into the 750 to remove these corals. I am drip acclimating the rbtas as I type this, one took a trip through a powerhead and looks like he will pull through. The rest will be up for grabs after they heal up a bit from the stress.

Just a quick update: the anemones are gone, and the 750 has 3 strong finalists in the running for it. Bio3, Capt Obvious and wife Caroline came by this evening to pick up the anemones. They even stayed to finish emptying the 750 of rock and kindly took the umpteen cabbage, tree, and toadstool softies still in the tank, sparing me the guilt of further murder. Thanks a ton, guys, and great to meet you in person!

-Paul

Awesome job guys, and thanks Paul. I bet they came over just to get to be first to see your setup!

Let me know if the club can do anything or if you need space to home some nems. RBTAs seem to love my tank so I'm happy to host a few and throw clones out to the club as they come available.

I hope bio didn't get any of me topless chest deep in a tank noexpression.gif

I have a shot of the nems in a bucket acclimating.

All responded to pellet and ate even the injured one

Please Lord don't let Bio have a pic of that.

I hope bio didn't get any of me topless chest deep in a tank http://www.austinreefclub.com//public/style_emoticons/default/noexp

I have a shot of the nems in a bucket acclimating.

All responded to pellet and ate even the injured one

Please Lord don't let Bio have a pic of that.

I couldn't agree more

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Everyone, I'm back with the next Austin-specific topic, or possibly Austin-specific: local small tank builders. For those who haven't been following along on my RC thread, the past 2 1/2 months have all been construction, with the tank and fish room mostly inaccessible. Looks like we're about 3 weeks from the fish room being finished out enough to start setting up the quarantine tanks. Related to this, I need to get two 75gal glass tanks and a 36x48x16 frag/coral quarantine tank. While I could go with one of the usual brand names, I thought I'd check here to see if anyone can recommend a local or regional glass tank builder who does good clean work. I'm interested in glass only, not acrylic.

Archived