1700 Gallon Tank

victoly

Wow, cool of you to drop in and join Paul. I read the entire thread this weekend on the road...twice. Lots of detail and great story to follow. This is a dream build...in our own back yard here in ATX. And Ching joining in....awesome! Cant wait to see more!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so im just wondering and thinking out loud...PmRogers? Defnt;y know 1st name is Paul...if last name is Rogers...I wonder if its Paul Rogers of BAD COMPANY of the '70s band??? Either way what a cool build to have here in Texas.

Hey gang,

So the 750 is about 4/5 emptied of rock this weekend but I still have 20-25 pieces with either Rose BTAs (15 at last count) or larger soft corals on them. Before I resort to murdering these guys I'd like to try to find a home for them.

Anyone up for free rose BTAs? Most are 5"-7" diameter, a few 8"-10". Also several large tree corals and cabbage colonies. The catch is you have to be able to take the rocks they are on, and either return those rocks sans critter within a week or so, or give me comparable rocks, dead or live. And you will probably want a separate system for these rocks as many of them have small amounts of red planeria, hydroids, and/or valonia.

If there are multiple folks interested, priority goes to those who are successfully keeping anemones today and to those who can take the most. A single transaction would be ideal. I think someone with a spare 150g or larger and an entrepreneurial bent could make decent money off of these.

Cheers,

Paul

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Glad to hear there's some interest in a project day. If construction stays on schedule I should be ready for the first one either the first or second weekend of June.

so im just wondering and thinking out loud...PmRogers? Defnt;y know 1st name is Paul...if last name is Rogers...I wonder if its Paul Rogers of BAD COMPANY of the '70s band??? Either way what a cool build to have here in Texas.

Lol! No, I'm not nearly so cool, just another tech dweeb. By the way, if you're a Bad Company fan and have a chance to get tickets, don't buy without looking into it first. I hear there are 3 versions of the band on tour, only one with Paul Rodgers as the vocalist :)

ill take a couple off your hand, man do you have any pics you could post of the 750g, that sounds impressive, is the 1700 going to be a reef, what type of lighting are planning for this beast. (sorry for all the questions, if you have build tread somewhere else you can direct me there also.)

Awesome! I hope The build day is before I move, I would love to see this in person! I also sent you a PM about the rock trade situation :)

This is going to be an amazing build!

Just saw this thread. I was out walking the day they were bringing that thing into the neighborhood. I live just down the hill. If you saw some random person chasing the truck that was me. Props Paul, I don't envy the logistics of that build or the maintenance. I do envy having something like that in my living room though. Best of luck sir and would love to see it one day.

ill take a couple off your hand, man do you have any pics you could post of the 750g, that sounds impressive, is the 1700 going to be a reef, what type of lighting are planning for this beast. (sorry for all the questions, if you have build tread somewhere else you can direct me there also.)

his build thread is http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2292029

RBTA's galore....and Im not even close to ready bye.gif Kudos Paul for the generosity!

Have you decided on source for more rock for the new tank? You have to share your saltwater stocking list with us too!

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Glad to hear there's some interest in a project day. If construction stays on schedule I should be ready for the first one either the first or second weekend of June.

Lol! No, I'm not nearly so cool, just another tech dweeb. By the way, if you're a Bad Company fan and have a chance to get tickets, don't buy without looking into it first. I hear there are 3 versions of the band on tour, only one with Paul Rodgers as the vocalist smile.png

that's cool, im not a real big fan but thought I had better get the question outta the way. As far as your weir issue, I agree with TIM...Im pretty sure that as thick as the sides are it will tap just fine if you wanted to make it adjustable. Im no professional but I work around plastics and fiberglass. Cant wait to be a reefer geek inside your new fish room someday. Congrats!!!

Thanks for all the new welcome messages!

Wow, there was a LOT of interest in the RBTAs both in the thread and in PM! I did have a 'bulk buy' offer come through fairly early, so I may not be able to accommodate many of the onesie-twosie requests. After the first guy picks up what he can accommodate tomorrow I will see what is left and start down the list beginning with first responder Capt. Obvious.

Regarding questions about the new system, I'd prefer to keep all of those to the RC thread, and focus on Austin-specific stuff here.

Speaking of, the next Austin-specific topic is the 750g tank. I need to get rid of the tank by June 1 to make room for the fish room build out. I'm not looking to get cash for it, just for it to go to a good home. If multiple folks are interested-- and convince me they have the ability to get it moved in time-- then priority goes to the person with the best story of how they'll use it. Part of the price is that you have to take the 300g sump and the steel stand as well. Note that moving this thing will be a huge pain. Pretty much the only option is a full-size pickup with very good tires and a minimum of 7 strong guys. The driveway entrance is too steep for any sort of flatbed or panel van, and the main body is too steep for a truck with remotely bald tires to get traction.

-Paul

I actually have a location in Alabama (parents house) that would hold the tank PERFECT.

I can hire the movers and everything to get it taken out and loaded onto a truck to move it to alabama :D

Archived