10gReef

I am moving my 75 to a 90 and debating if I want to keep my sand or changed to crushed coral or just get new sand.

Please let me know your thoughts/experience

I'm guessing I have 90-100lbs of live rock. I keep chaeto in the sump with a BRS GFO/Carbon filter and of course a protein skimmer. I keep a mixed reef with lps, sps, fish and inverts. I'm running 2-250w MH and 4 actinics. Im currently dosing BRS two part but will be switching to B-Ionic once I run out of BRS.

tankshot4

When I upgraded to my 90 I went with new sand. I didn't want to put any weird gunk into it so I got special grade reef sand which you can get at RCA for $40. It's heavier so won't blow all over the place.

+1 on Special Grade. +1 more on get new sand.

Not worth the risk in stirring up a bunch of trapped detritus. You could rinse and dry and reuse later, but for a tank to tank move, I would get new sand.

BARE BOTTOMpunk.gif , or a really fine layer of crushed coral, keep all the nutirints low JMO though, just took my sand bed out a a lil over a week ago and am lovin it, also put a pwer head on the bottom runnig behind my rockscape so nothing settles where it cant be siphoned out

Admittedly there are people a lot knowledgible than me, but It seems that you'd be losing a lot of bacteria and possibly cause a mini-cycle. Not to mention any detrivores, worms, etc that live in it. I would consider a quick rinse and putting it back in. Or at least put some back in to reseed the populations.

I meant to add something along the lines of "what am I missing".

no ill affects when taking my sand bed out except for an ammonia spike that was low and didnt last through the night, and parms are perfect, but this may be on tank to tank basis

If you choose to re use your sand, plan on spending some time cleaning it very well. Stirring up all that junk will have an I'll effect on your water

Archived