DIY Internal Overflow Box Help

Rick & Kenda

I plan to build my own internal overflow box for my back drilled tank. I need one about 4" deep, 6" tall and 40" long. Since it will extend from one side of my tank end, it will be a three sided box. How tough is it to cut and bond 1/8" acrylic?

Anyone done this? Anyone want to do this for a small fee?

Never done this specific task before, but i have built a sump using acrylic. I suggest going with a plastic supply such as Austin Plastic Supply or Regal Plastics. They can provide/cut the acrylic for you per your specification. And they sell the Weld On acrylic adhesive.

Oh and your likely going to have a lot of left over acrylic which you can easily sell to re-coup some of your cost. I spent $135 on a 8' x 4' sheet which i had ~ 1/4 left over which I sold for $30.

1/8" isn't going to be thick enough for what you want to do. At minimum, you will need 1/4". I build all of mine out of acrylic (even on my glass tanks). It's not hard, as long as you have the right equipment. A laminate blade for a table saw or circular saw, router for cutting teeth, and picture frame clamps (not completely necessary, but sure make the job easier). All that being said, it's not brain surgery.

I have a pretty nice table saw and I can pick up a fine finish laminate blade. What I am wondering is how easy is it to adhere the pieces together using the Weld-On? I considered using glass, and I even have the tools to cut up to 1/4" glass but I am too afraid it would break the first time I bumped it with LR or something hard while working in my tank.

I am wondering if I go to one of the places mentioned above and have them cut it, will the edges be smooth enough to join without further sanding or preparing? I have heard that this is the tough issue, getting a nice smooth edge so the pieces will bond, true?

Bonding acrylic is not hard at all. You already seem to have the basics.......prep is 99% of it. Normally, the cut edges are not smooth enough to get a watertight joint without at least some prepping/sanding. I've also taken to running a bead of Weldon #16 in the joint after I bond the pieces. Since doing that, I've not had a leak anywhere. Weldon 16 is much thicker than weldon 4, much like a "syrup". I've really started relying on it, and it's easy to work with too.

Have you done a horizontal one with silicon? I've had 2 rip off my tank that were horizontal since they have nothing to rest on and the joint itself bears the weight instead of it resting on the bottom like a normal vertical one.

I built my own, used acrylic weld on 4 and silicone.

I can show you a pic of my sump that has a huge bow in one acrylic baffle that I'm going to euro brace when I drain. The silicone holds better to acrylic and glass than I originally thought it would.

I plan to build my own internal overflow box for my back drilled tank. I need one about 4" deep, 6" tall and 40" long. Since it will extend from one side of my tank end, it will be a three sided box. How tough is it to cut and bond 1/8" acrylic?

Anyone done this? Anyone want to do this for a small fee?

I would use thicker acrylic, 1/8" at 40" in length is going to flex like crazy and probably bend one way or another.. 1/4" would work better in my opinion... Working with acrylic is fairly easy if you are okay at building stuff. There are plenty of diy threads online that can teach you how to prep and weld acrylic. I'd check those out! Good luck.

I plan to build my own internal overflow box for my back drilled tank. I need one about 4" deep, 6" tall and 40" long. Since it will extend from one side of my tank end, it will be a three sided box. How tough is it to cut and bond 1/8" acrylic?<br /> <br />Anyone done this? Anyone want to do this for a small fee?

<br /> I would use thicker acrylic, 1/8" at 40" in length is going to flex like crazy and probably bend one way or another.. 1/4" would work better in my opinion... Working with acrylic is fairly easy if you are okay at building stuff. There are plenty of diy threads online that can teach you how to prep and weld acrylic. I'd check those out! Good luck.
<br /><br />+ 1. Go to Austin plastic supply and tell them your measurements and they will cut to order. They also sell all supply's needed. 1/4 isn't that different in price and is fairly rigid. Look it up on YouTube for a general idea. If its just an insert, I would use the "wicking" method for glueing the acrylic together.

Im using acrylic 1/4" bonded to glass as an overflow for a 36" wide area. No problems here yet... The force of the water is going to be pushing against the overflow, so as long as you have a bottom piece, and side pieces for it to push against you'll be ok. I.e. dont glue the front face piece between the side supports, but across them for support.

I should note however, that if you happen to see some bowing in the finished product once water is pushing against it, you may need to add a cross brace in the middle somewhere. Just like bubble traps in the sump.

Archived