Rick and Kendas 55g

Rick & Kenda

Well we have begun the slow process of building and setting up our saltwater tank. The plan is to have fish, LR, inverts and maybe soft corals. We are starting with an old Oceanic 55g tall I bought for $100. I stripped off the plastic trim and drilled the back of the tank. I drilled 3 outflows for 1-1/2" pipe and 1 return flow for 1" pipe. Here is a pic of the bare tank stripped and drilled.

post-3223-0-15626800-1367870987_thumb.jp

I bought some bulkheads from Amazon and then this weekend I built a stand frame. I will sheath the frame in plywood and paint it.

post-3223-0-53873400-1367871115_thumb.jp

You can see in the background, I bought a pretty nice Coralife T5 fixture from ckyuv (Patrick). Thanks Dude!

Still lots to do but look for more posts soon!

Yeah, there is a little chip out. If I could drill it over again, I would start on the inside of the tank so the chip out would be on the outside. But, the gasket around the bulkheads easily covers any chip out and none of the chip out was very deep, just sliver chips.

Ok, so I am plumbing the inside of the tank, the over flows and return. The overflows are 1-1/2" and the return is 1". The return is a slip on the inside but the overflows are threaded on the inside of the bulkheads. On the return I am using a 1" slip to 3/4" FIPS. Then a Loc-Line 3/4" adapter to a 4" long loc-line extension capped with a 3" wide flat nozzle. Seems legit right?

So on the over flows, I need an elbow with a screen/cover/drain/somesuch and I cannot seem to find anything in a 1-1/2" size. I can use a regular 90 degree elbow but what can I use at the opening to block fish or other stuff from getting into the drain? Any ideas? I am open to DIYing it.

You can make a small acrylic box to silicone to the inside that is grated (like normal overflow boxes) to allow the water through and to stop the fish and other stuff. You can even add a lid to prevent fish from jumping into the overflow compartment...

Ok, so I am going to have an overflow box. It will run from the left end of the tank to a couple inches short of where the return bulkhead is located. Do you think I also need a screen or drain cover or something over each overflow pipe? Or, is this redundant?

. . . So on the over flows, I need an elbow with a screen/cover/drain/somesuch and I cannot seem to find anything in a 1-1/2" size. I can use a regular 90 degree elbow

I'm inclined to go with an overflow box as mentioned above but one of ARCs sponser Flexpvc.com has several different 1.5" screens. Just type "screen" in the search bar.

. . . So on the over flows, I need an elbow with a screen/cover/drain/somesuch and I cannot seem to find anything in a 1-1/2" size. I can use a regular 90 degree elbow

I'm inclined to go with an overflow box as mentioned above but one of ARCs sponser Flexpvc.com has several different 1.5" screens. Just type "screen" in the search bar.

These are exactly what I was looking for but after discussions above I don't think I will need them now.

I used small pieces of egg crate and ziptied them to the intake on mine. this kept the fish out of the pipe, but in most cases killed them. :( i ended up putting mangroves and chaeto in the overflow. No more dead fish!

• 2 weeks later...

im not sure what path you're attempting to take, if you could illustrate it with pathways, arrows, or midgets dressed in drag, it'd be more helpful :D

Overall it looks good, my only concern is controlling flow into your fuge area, without causing flooding of the other compartments. Also, keeping macro out of your return pump.

Ok, new pics. The plumbing is laid out and tested. Still need an overflow box but I was able to get the drains to balance and they are pretty quiet. Now to finish the stand. That's a Quiet One Lifeguard 819 gph running the flow. I externally plumbed it by drilling into the sump. This gives me more room for a skimmer in the sump. Still debating switching the bioballs for macros or liverock. Since this is planned to be a FOWLR tank, the bioballs may be fine. Thoughts?

post-3223-0-35421900-1370453060_thumb.jp post-3223-0-49270900-1370453168_thumb.jp

Yeah, I think I will wedge a piece in the bottom flow between the chambers. I am seriously considering getting rid of the balls and switching to cheato or just extra LR. I can plug the bottom slot and make it overflow near the top. The I would need a filter between. What do you think? Also, another option, I have so much flow, I could run a feeder over to a separate refugium. The only problem is getting the water back from the refugium to the return chamber.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived