Refugium build - would love feedback :)

Victoria

Howdy -

Well, I've reached the point with my 65G RSM that the "skimmer and sorta refugium" it's got going on just doesn't ding my bells. Truth be told, it would probably be sufficient, but I'm obsessed with all the microfauna that a refugium brings to the game. Plus, I want to do some macro algae and a sandbed and make it a little copepod Shangri-la.

So here's my rough sketch ... I've got a HOB skimmer that I've already dry fit and can access to clean out the icky stuff, so that's not eating up fuge space. I don't have all the measurements handy, but here's the basic idea ... water'll come in on the left side, flow thru the sandbed/viewing area and then get sucked back out on the right. The outside walls and wall between the in and out chambers are all the same height; wall between the sandbed and back chambers will be lower, and I'll put in a baffle between the sandbed and return pump.

Sound like it should work? If not, what am I overlooking?

Thanks!

Victoria

Added pic - sorry 'bout that!

post-3108-0-54247000-1367684578_thumb.pn

I don't see a sketch. The iPad is flakey sometimes, but there's no gap for it like normal.

I have no experience to offer advice, but I was staring at my sump last night to see if I can mod it for a bigger fuge. So, I am with you on that part.

Good luck.

I find it better to have the fuge to one side and not in the middle, you can control the flow better this way by t-ing off the overflow, with one side regulated by a ball valve going to the refugium side, and the other dumping to the skimmer chamber with the return pump in the middle, fed by both skimmer and refugium sections

If that makes since

@Planeden - no pic because I'm a little slow this a.m. Fixed :)

@Capt. Obvious - the description does make sense, dunno if attaching the rough sketch helps my case for what I want or not? I really would like to use the fuge as almost a secondary tank, with some snails and hermits, and maybe a fish (or just save it for a copepod-rich TLC area in case anyone seems like they're getting shortchanged, pod-wise).

Fuges do better with lower flow... Hence the suggestion, your layout will work... But you are skimming some of the nutreants the pods and macro want (they will still get some) and the entire flow of the sump is passing through the refugium

+1 on Capt

I personnelly run skimmer less. Substrate with nitrification bacteria process ammonia and nitrite to nitrate. Macroalgae use ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. IMO, skimmers remove nutrients that are best used by natural passive processes.

Patrick

The advantage to putting the skimmer earlier in the process is that your micro bubbles get filtered out by the time it hits the return pump. The disadvantage is that you're pulling out some of the DOCs prior to the fuge inhabitants getting a chance to utilize them. I'm not sure it makes a whole ton of difference either way, and I think you'll have success using either configuration.

Thanks for the feedback!

@Patrick, you definitely have the macro thing *down*, so I won't protest much except to say that my approach to reefkeeping could be likened to benign neglect. I don't change water as often as I should, and my RSM runs hot - so I'm looking to the skimmer to help cover up some laziness AND expose more water to ambient air.

@victoly - totally get that. I'm counting on a bubble trap to minimize the microbubbles in the display. But I've no problem with them in the 'fuge. Appreciate the vote of confidence for either way :)

@Stephen, thanks to the now-empty skimmer chamber in the RSM, I've already got a ton of rubble and macro just hanging out. Was really looking for the 'fuge to be almost a regular "tank", but one that's optimized (can you tell I'm in marketing?) to be a copepod love nest ... ergo the sand and macro. Don't want just rubble since I also envision it as somewhere I could house a fish in need of extra TLC and a plethora of 'pods.

Thanks for the feedback!

@Patrick, you definitely have the macro thing *down*, so I won't protest much except to say that my approach to reefkeeping could be likened to benign neglect. I don't change water as often as I should, and my RSM runs hot - so I'm looking to the skimmer to help cover up some laziness AND expose more water to ambient air.

@victoly - totally get that. I'm counting on a bubble trap to minimize the microbubbles in the display. But I've no problem with them in the 'fuge. Appreciate the vote of confidence for either way :)

@Stephen, thanks to the now-empty skimmer chamber in the RSM, I've already got a ton of rubble and macro just hanging out. Was really looking for the 'fuge to be almost a regular "tank", but one that's optimized (can you tell I'm in mariketing?) to be a copepod love nest ... ergo the sand and macro. Don't want just rubble since I also envision it as somewhere I could house a fish in need of extra TLC and a plethora of 'pods.

Benign neglect sounds like my "laissez faire reef keeping"' or perhaps what bio3 called minimalistic. You sound like a romantic with your copepod love nest. When you add a fish in with the pod love nest, it is easy to lose your pod population. When a refugium has predators, it is no longer a refuge.

I have been reading some of your threads. You have a good sense of humor with much common sense. Keep up the posting.

Patrick

@Patrick - thanks smile.png

Yeah, I hear ya on the fish in the pod love shack. That's not a gotta have, and if logic dictates it won't work, I'm cool with just the happy little pods and a few hermits/snails in there.

@Capt. Obvious - fine. Rubble added. Happy now? poke.gif

Reimagined the 'fuge a little to better accommodate the skimmer return (it's a HOB). Better? Wall between Skimmer pump and water/skimmer "in" will be lower than that between the return and the water/skimmer "in", so the flow "in" from the tank and back from the skimmer will go over rubble.

post-3108-0-01108900-1367942682_thumb.pn

Add a t-section to the drain pipe and run a line directly to your refug and to your skimmer. This allow you to control the amount of water that goes to your refug without compromising on the direct flow. You have to have your skimmer and refug on opposite ends or you'll get too much flow from the skimmer drain pipe.

Looks great to me.

Another good idea are pod "condos" by enclosing rubble in plastic gutter guards that way we could transfer to the DT periodically to repopulate.

Pods will get sucked up through the return line and enter the DT fully intact when you have a good population.

Archived