Sump/Refugium Design - Done!

mrshall1027

I'd like to get opinions on this sump/refugium design.

Background info:

135G drilled on the back panel

1800GPH overflow box with three 1" drains

Filter socks for mechanical filtration

Two 3/4" returns (siphon break will be ~1"-2" below DT water line which is 6 to 11 gallons)

Reeflo Snapper/Dart Hybrid external pump (2600GPH)

We want accessibility to the filter socks for easy exchange. We also have the skimmer in it's own section for easier maintenance. Our main concerns are the amount of flow into the refugium and the ability to hold excess water in the event of a power outage. Depending on how much flow there is (afraid the pump is too much) we may tee off our return manifold to dispense excess water back into the sump, either the skimmer or return section.

The total dimensions are 30" long by 18" deep by 14" high. This is the max size we can fit under our stand.

post-2963-0-86219400-1363042545_thumb.jp

post-2963-0-17529300-1363042547_thumb.jp

post-2963-0-17108400-1363042549_thumb.jp

My only suggestion is adding something to the refugium to prevent your macros and whatnot to flow out and clog up skimmer. This happened to mine and I added egg crate and it worked. Design looks swwet

I am not understanding this statement you put compared with the measurements in the pictures??? "The total dimensions are 30" long by 18" deep by 14" high. This is the max size we can fit under our stand."

My only suggestion is adding something to the refugium to prevent your macros and whatnot to flow out and clog up skimmer. This happened to mine and I added egg crate and it worked. Design looks swwet

Good idea, I've always seen pictures of sumps with egg crate on top of the fuge and didn't realize why until now.

I am not understanding this statement you put compared with the measurements in the pictures??? "The total dimensions are 30" long by 18" deep by 14" high. This is the max size we can fit under our stand."

I forgot to mention the thickness of the acrylic is 1/4" and the space in the bubble trap is 1" each. If you take into account those measurements along with the measurements shown in each compartment, it totals 30" x 18". I didn't include baffle heights but everything is to scale. That's the largest overall size we can fit below our tank and still have room for everything else.

Should I begin the "which is better skimmer->fuge->return or fuge->skimmer->return or fuge->return<-skimmer(remote fuge)" debate?

In my opinion fuge should drain to return section so pods get sent to tank and are not skimmed, returns should feed the fuge and skimmer sections both of which overflow to a return chamber without direct interaction with one another. #notanexpertjustmypersonalpreference

Archived