Return/Siphon Break for rimless back drilled tank

mrshall1027

Recently purchased a 135 gallon tank that we will hopefully have drilled next weekend and we are trying to figure out our return set up. We are going to have two return lines split from either a mag 12 or 18 and would like to have them 4" below the water level. We don't want to have an over the top return because it would defeat the purpose of the clean line rimless look. But, we can't figure out how we would have a siphon break before the tank is drained 4" down. Also thought about having the returns 1" down but worried about the possibility of breaking the glass while drilling. We also want the return to be a large part of the tanks flow and with it being 4" down it will hopefully have a clearer view from the top when the top placed powerheads are off. One thing we thought of was using a check valve, but don't really know how reliable it will be with potential build up over time.

One idea my husband had was to have a T out from the return bulkhead and pipe running to the top level of the tank and then reduced to 1/4" fitting and run tubing down to the sump above the sumps water level.

Any ideas?

Can you maybe sketch out a schematic ? I'd love to help bounce ideas, but I'm a visual problem solver. As far as having a check valve incorporated into any failure point, I'd be very weary. I've used many in more industrial settings where they are well maintained, and unless they get properly sized and purposed (gate, swing, etc.) they have a tendency to fail open or scale shut. Of course, this is all pending the way it is designed. I'll think about your setup more and see if it comes to me.

Loc line arch with 1/8 hole drilled in the underside. Bring the arch as high as you want the siphon break and when running water would be just higher than locline. When power failed it would drop about 1 inch then siphon break.

Loc line arch with 1/8 hole drilled in the underside. Bring the arch as high as you want the siphon break and when running water would be just higher than locline. When power failed it would drop about 1 inch then siphon break.

Jeez, can't believe we didn't think of that! doh.gif

Sounds like the best solution. Thanks!!

But if you bring the loc line back to the top (to minimize siphoned water) why drill so low or at all.

But if you bring the loc line back to the top (to minimize siphoned water) why drill so low or at all.

I see two reasons right off the bat, one getting away from the edge to reduce thermal and frictional breaking chance during drilling. and Two its aesthetically more pleasing to not have the bulkhead right near the top of a rimless system.

Can you not put your returns in through your overflow box ? That way everything is incorporated into the only black obstructive box in your tank.

Good idea. That's how my rimless 90 is but it limits you to flow on one side of a large tank. Of course you can add power heads or a lot of loc line to pull flow over. aga6a3um.jpg

Can you not put your returns in through your overflow box ? That way everything is incorporated into the only black obstructive box in your tank.

Good idea. That's how my rimless 90 is but it limits you to flow on one side of a large tank. Of course you can add power heads or a lot of loc line to pull flow over. aga6a3um.jpg

That's also how our 75 is right now, but the hubby wants to put three overflow lines in the overflow box so it would be pretty cramped in there if the return lines were in there too.

I use 3/4 locline and aim it upward just below the water surface. It siphons a gallon or so but works very well.

If you need to have the return lines as deep as you're suggesting, I would go with good quality check valves.

Archived