Nothing's permanant in a reef system

Timfish

Here's just one more reminder nothing is permanant in a reef system. Had to replace this bulkhead fitting in an 8 year old system. It's a 1" and is constricted down to 5/8ths. As much as possible I try to design systems so stuff can be moved or changed with as little hassle as possible.

post-1247-0-46139800-1361747981_thumb.jp

Imagine that even plumping gets "parasites"! laugh.png I'm pretty sure it's just a real heavy growth of a vermetid species of snail. Kinda interesting as there are some in the tank but they're fairly sparse.

@ Victoly - This was all snails. I've seen pipes with abiotic scale build up and the calcium has to be kept at saturation a long time in order for that to happen. With a T. squamosa with a shell 12" long growing about 3/4 - 1 inch a year as well as 4 Bubble corals with skeletons 5 - 6 inches across that's going to be quite a challenge on a system without a calcium reactor. There would also be scale build up on all the surfaces of the sump and plumping which there wasn't and the sand would be cemented together as well.

@ Bio - This setup had two sump tanks because of a divider in the stand and the bulkhead was connecting them. I don't know if you saw Mikes sump but now I design sumps to be bolted together with large openings for water flow so when this happens it won't be as much of an issue. I had cleaned it out with a screw driver once last year but knew we'd be upgrading the tank so waited until it had to be dissassembled.

looks like a combo of vermetids and abiotic calcium precipitation.

Abiotic calcium precipitation you say? No doubt from the chronic aqueous emanation of calclium alkali. shifty.gif

if i stay in arc im going to need a dictionary

looks like a combo of vermetids and abiotic calcium precipitation.

Abiotic calcium precipitation you say? No doubt from the chronic aqueous emanation of calclium alkali. shifty.gif

if i stay in arc im going to need a dictionary

im sure there's a reef talk dictionary. i got lost too

@ Bio - This setup had two sump tanks because of a divider in the stand and the bulkhead was connecting them. I don't know if you saw Mikes sump but now I design sumps to be bolted together with large openings for water flow so when this happens it won't be as much of an issue. I had cleaned it out with a screw driver once last year but knew we'd be upgrading the tank so waited until it had to be dissassembled.

gallery_1061_546_34012.jpggallery_1061_546_69545.jpg

A bead of silicone is laid down on one side around the opening and also around each bolt hole. One of the two sides has holes taped for 3/8" nylon bolts the other has hole just large enough for the bolts. You can't see it in these pictures but the third box has an additional piece of 3/4" glued to it to account for the plywood divider/support and has some holes tapped for 1/4" nylon bolts so an optional divider can be installed to set the water level in the first two sections without having to drain the system . The openings are 4" wide and 2/3rds the height of the sides so one or more sections could be setup with mud or sand without having to worry about it getting into the other sections.

Archived