Gig 'em's "Maroon Lagoon" Build Thread

Gig 'em @ NDstructible

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It's been a while since I have posted any updates on this thread. The tank was temporarily shut down for a while when I was searching for a new house with Ty, but now it is fully operational and I have stocked it with fish, new coral frags, and of course, new anemones.

FTS 10/31/13:

IMG-20131031-00609.jpg

IMG-20131031-00610.jpg

All my fish enjoy swimming together, I'm pretty sure the hippo tang is convinced he is a skunk clown

IMG-20131031-00613.jpg

Rose and green bubble tip that the clowns have yet to acknowledge the existence of

IMG-20131031-00614.jpg

Still have that all red MMc? I lost mine before moving when everything was hectic

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yeah, he finally re-emerged a couple of days ago, but it looks extra small right now and looks like it doesn't have as many tentacles as it used to. I'm wondering if it was just in the shadows for the past month or so and now finally coming out and getting full light. I hope it grows and starts reproducing.

• 9 months later...

Looks great. It looks like your super blue is showing color already!!!

Maybe you should change the title from anemone paradise to SPS haven. smile.png

Haha yes, the SPS have quickly overtaken the aquarium and replaced the anemones as the center of attention. Plus I believe the BTAs and maxi mini anemones have been battling for months with chemical warfare and there aren't many maxi minis left :(

Super blue is closer to "eh~blue" definitely not the vibrant royal blue that the picture showed hmm.png

• 7 months later...

Long time since an update, but over the last 6 months I haven been battling with alk swings from a calcium reactor that had a bad pH probe and thena clogged effluent line. I ended up replacing the probe with a lab-grade probe from BRS and increased the flow rate of my effluent while increasing the pH of the reactor so the effluent wouldn't get clogged again.

Once I finally got the alkalinity somewhat stabilized, I had a break out of AEFW in my tank. I treated it for a week and a half with Bayer dips, but last night I noticed batches of eggs and some bite marks on my SPS again. So it's back to treating everything again!!! I've scraped off all the eggs I could find and completely got rid of the colonies that were too badly covered in eggs. I thought it's better to lose a couple small colonies from eggs than to lose even more down the road when they hatched. This time I'm going to treat the corals for more thana week and a half before glueing them down on the rock. I would post pictures, but it looks like tornado valley right now bye.gif

That had to be a sinking feeling when you saw them still there sad.png

Definitely. All the eggs really surprised me. It was almost as if treating with Bayer's advanced pesticide drove the remaining flatworms to spawn like crazy. Hopefully I'll get them all knocked out now though. Hopefully... unsure.png

Archived