Royal Gramma Wedged into a rock

Mlaw

Woke up this morning and couldn't find my royal gramma. Wife finally spotted him wedged into a small hole in a rock. Only thing we can see is his tail sticking out. He waves it around now and again. I'm not 100% sure if he is stuck or not but it looks like it.

Should I try to help him get out or leave him there?

Going to do a water check this afternoon as work permits to make sure nothing wrong with parameters.

if lights are off i would leave him there till they come on, may have just found a new spot to sleep, givi it awhile cause tryin to manually et him out may do mor damage, but just my opinion, my phsdochromis did this once and while trying to get him out, he fell on the floor and what was funny when i put him back in the tank, he went right back for the same hole

And now my flame angel has disappeared. He looked a little pale at one point yesterday but was swimming and eating well enough. Got up this morning and couldn't find him. Lots of hiding places and spots I can't see so he could be in there somewhere I suppose. Really frustrating. Didn't see them prior to disappearance so I have no way to k ow what is going on. If the all die I'm gonna be out of saltwater due to wife displeasure.

Check temperature, salinity, and then (NH4, NO3, NO3). After that, youre pretty much at the mercy of carbon and water changes if it's a water quality issue. If it's a health issue, you're into a whole other rabbit hole.

Just got back from RCA and my levels are all "good". Ammonia and nitrate are detectible, but I'm not too surprised about that. Even so they aren't particularly high. Temp and salinity seem fine.

I think I'm going to hook up a spare canister filter running carbon and a UV filter. I'll do a smallish water change today or tomorrow ( I was thinking 20% or so. It's a 130 gallon tank so I'd like to try not to spend too much on water if possible)

I'm feeding regularly with Spectrum soaked in garlic and some algae sheets for the rabbit fish.

Anything else you can think of?

How old is the tank? I don't think NH4 should be detected at all. Most fish can handle pretty high nitrates, but they're not real keen on ammonia. Were any of your fish gasping or red gilled?

That was me! I'll pick up a poly filter later today. Just put it in the canister?

The tank is odd. Technically it has been up and running for years, but
with no filtration etc until about a year ago. Long story involving a
fire. Anyway, I would say that it is at least a year old.

I didn't really get a chance to look at the fish that are missing. Didn't see any red gills but maybe. The fish that are in there don't look like they have red gills. 2 are clowns so it is hard to tell. The foxfax rabbit looks okay and the pajama cardinals are hard to see. By gasping do you mean going to the surface for air? If so none are doing that.

Ammonia is basically non-existent. But I did discover, while installing the UV sterilizer that I have a bit of stray voltage in the refugium/sump. Found out the hard way. Just a little zap but still enough to startle me. Not sure if that voltage could have traveled up to the DT and cause the problem or not but I'm going to deal with it. Spending some time to night testing to see who the offending piece of equipment is and installing a grounding probe. Hopefully that will make a difference.

not sure if it is the canister running the carbon or the UV sterilizer but 4 days after putting them both online my water is cleaner and clearer than it has ever been before. Loving it. Even if I'm missing a few fish to look at in it.

Archived