Help with Condy Anemone

KKAAY

I have a fairly new tank (3weeks) and did as I was instructed as far as water and rock and getting the temp and levels correct. I went to purchase my first fish (2 clowns) and some corals. My LFS sold me a condy anemone as well as a couple other corals to start out. It has since shrunk in size and I am not sure what to do about it. I have done some research and it says that it was probably too early to add this to my tank. I have also read where this is not a good host for my clowns. I am ready to take this back to the LFS and trade for something that my clowns will like. Like I said, I am new to this hobby and have a new tank. I was just trusting my LFS to not stray me in the wrong direction. Any help would be appreciated.

Condy won't host clowns and three weeks is probably a bit early for a condy in a tank. It can be done depending on your set up but typically folks recommend a more mature tank for anemones in general.

IMO: If you decide to keep the condy, it can live but needs high light. My most successful one is at the top of the tank in the highest flow and loving it.

Deflating isn't always bad though. They do shrink and then re-grow as part of their daily/weekly process but it could be a sign of them going south....

If you have good light and good water paramaters, go for it!

FWIW: I feed mine silversides once every 2 weeks. Target feed using chopsticks, maybe 1/3 or 1/4 of a silversides at a time. I know many do not target feed condys but I've had good success with mine doing this. I would not feed it if it is deflated though. Wait till it is open. Give it a week or two in the tank before trying.

Don't put the food into the mouth. Let the tentacles grab it an do their thing.

Grog

Keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite. That's a big enough bioload all at once you could cause the tank to do a soft cycle seeing as it isn't mature. Clowns would probably be fine, but the nem is not going to like it.

Whst are silversides and where can I get them

Silversides are basically minnows and you can find them in the frozen food section of the pet store. You'll need to cut them up to feed the condy (pieces about half the size of a dime). If you give it too large of a piece it can actually rot inside the condy before it can digest which can sicken the condy or kill it.

Several members here have been able to get clowns to host condys. It's a trick of both the clowns and the anemone, but other anemones are easier (bubble tips, long tentacle anemones). Do a search for condy in the top right and you'll find some threads discussing it.

Ask questions at your fish store, but always verify what they tell you. Too many of the chain stores have well-meaning but uneducated employees.

Welcome to the club, and don't hesitate to ask here as well!

Most people feed once a week at max, probably every other week. Just 1 silverside should do, depending on the size- if theyre larger silversides, try cutting it into halves or quarters and just giving either a half or quarter. starting with a little and building up may be best. I would also recommend table shrimp- i buy frozen cooked shrimp at Sam's and then thaw and feed about 1/3 of the shrimp every week. What kind of clowns did you get?

I use 1/2 to 1/4 of a silverside every two week, even for my large condy. Like Mike said, you don't want to give them too big of a piece.

The bag I bought about a year ago is about 80% gone. Seem to last forever in my small tanks. lol

Archived