par38 custom spec light

Funkness

This kinda depends on what you want your refugium to be for. These days most people blur the idea of nutrient export through macroalgae growth and removal with the idea of an actual refugium as in a place for things which are normally preyed upon to grow out in a predator-free space. I my refugium split: One side is strongly lit with 7k LEDs for macroalgae growth and full of chaeto and caulerpa; the other side is weakly lit with blue and red LEDs and full of rubble and sponges. In the space between where the two lights mix I grow xenia.

It wouldn't hurt to use some 5000K as well. Sunpark currently makes these as well. Not sure what you're looking at spending but I've got 2 of these now and they cost about $35 each with cree LED's. I swapped out the optics for a wider spread.

growing xenia? You mean allowing a small take-over? wink.png

Lwj! Yes, precisely! They make excellent nutrient export, and the mysis love hiding in them. But their growth zone is limited because they don't get enough light under the mass of macroalgae, and they don't get enough light over in sponge-land, so they live in the twilight zone. What I haven't figured out is what I am going to do with them once they grow to the point where I'm going to harvest them, which will be soon...since everybody views them as pests these days it seems, haha.

I bought the fiance a 3 polyp frag back in September. She now has an entire 8lb rock covered in them. I've told myself in the future I will place specimens like this on LR Rubble, to make removal a bit easier. :)

Archived