Ideal Temperature for a Saltwater Tank

KKAAY

my cube had a heater that only kicked on during water changes I dont know my current temp but it should show up below this post in my signature.

the new system I'm working with is running about 72 with no heaters and 1 pump. I'll hold off on adding a heater until I have all the lights and equipment running so I can see what the temps stabilize at.

depending on where the bml is located it could go either way.

you stick that thing in a sealed stand or canopy its gonna raise temps. if its hanging over a tank with tons of air flow you will probably drop temps.

depending on where the bml is located it could go either way.

you stick that thing in a sealed stand or canopy its gonna raise temps. if its hanging over a tank with tons of air flow you will probably drop temps.

If it goes in the same place as the last light it will most likely still drop the temps. My BML is in a canopy and it still dropped my temps a full degree through the day. Granted I went from 3 CF bulbs to a single BML unit so when I add the other BML units it may bring my temps back up.

if I mount the BML under the stand on the sump tank I raise the QT system 2 degrees if I leave it on the QT's top tank where it has no canopy I loose 2 degrees. (tested this after touching the BML with my arm during feeding, decided I didnt want to feel that again so I sent it to the sump where it mounts to the bottom of the stand, mainly all the heat is captured in this scenario though.)

But I also have my ballast mounted half in half out of an open back stand.

I won't say ideal because it depends on what you are keeping.

I'm keeping my tank with softies and inverts at 77 as a target. Stays pretty close. Yesterday it was 77.6 in one tank and 77 on the nose in the other 2.

My tanks fluctuate down to 72 at night and then up 78-80 during the day, depending on if I remember to turn on the cooling fan or not.

There was a couple weeks they got up 86 or so during the day. No ill effects, actually forced 2 anemones to split. Would not recommend, but didn't lose anything because of it.

agreed with the above, 78-81. pick a number and try your hardest to keep it there within +/-.5 degees. you will find a temp that your tank stays at the easiest w/o any effort, try and leave it there cause tryn to change it usually cost you more money.

I like 78 - 80 but as was mentioned there is no "ideal" temperature. Corals can also adapt to different environmental conditions and specimens or colonies of the the same species may react differently to the environmental conditions depending on the specimens "personal" preferences1. My own experiences over the years with the Teal BTA and Brown BTA versions I strongly suspect the Teal has about a 4 degree higher temperature range over the Brown variant. The Teal will be fine at temperatures where the Brown BTA will bleach out while the Brown will be fine at a lower temperature where the Teal will bleach. However these observations may only apply to the clone lines I've grown in my tanks. A different clone line may respond differently.

1http://www.mendeley.com/research/experience-shapes-susceptibility-reef-coral-bleaching-3/

Archived