Chaeto Chock Full of Brittle Sea Stars and Amphipods

George Monnat Jr

I've had a single LR in my refugium for almost a year. It started with some small, brown brittle sea stars poking their arms out of it. I really liked that, so I fed them. Now the population has exploded so that they're infesting my chaeto ball, too. I think I should give some away to reduce the population a bit. If anyone wants a small clump of chaeto full of brittle stars and amphipods, let me know (here or PM). I require nothing for trade, but if you have extra zoas, palys, rics or shrooms that you need to pare down I'll take them off your hands.

Trade isn't a requirement, but I'll take any extra you need to get rid of. If you don't really have much (like me), then don't worry about it. If multiple people want some, then the clumps I give will be small, but I bet they have a half dozen plus brittle stars in each. I can't make the ARC meet tomorrow, because it's my 19th anniversary weekend (wife has plans), but I can meet at RCA almost any day at lunch or evening. Anyone can come by my place off of Boulder and 620 almost any evening (not Saturday). I think Monday afternoon we're headed to Gruene, so I could meet somewhere on the way.

Will you have any left by tomorrow evening, do you think?

I'm meeting one or two people tomorrow and several more throughout the week into Saturday. I will re-post on Saturday what I have left. I don't mind giving away all the chaeto, as I can get more and the brittle stars and amphipods in my refugium LR will eventually infest the chaeto again. I just don't know how many stars will be in the last bits of chaeto.

I'm going to have to apologize, because I miscalculated. I thought my chaeto ball was absolutely full of brittle stars and roughly homogeneous, because when I rolled it I saw them on all sides. The first mini-clump I pulled off had about a dozen. The next only had about a half-dozen, so I started paying closer attention. The last two have only had a couple brittle stars, and I didn't really see any more in the chaeto. I can still give chaeto with amphipods away, but I need to let the brittle stars repopulate it. I'll PM the two guys who I haven't met with, yet, and ask if they want that or to wait being at the top of the list next time.

• 1 month later...

Archived