Upcoming tank purchase

brian.srock

So I'm looking to upgrade to a 90+ tank. Not sure yet on the exact size since I need to measure the stand space I have which I'll update tonight when I can measure but I wanted glass, rimless and starfire front if possible.

There isn't too many places online to get a quote other than glasscages.com

for their 90 Long (Rimless) 48 x 18 x 24 Tall they want $750 to have starfire front and black silicone not including shipping

but my problem is I've only heard negative reviews across multiple boards that they provide terrible customer service so they won't be getting my business.

Is there anyone local or within a 3 hour drive that anyone recommends?

Also is there a noticable difference between regular glass and starfire?

Thanks for your help guys.

I believe DSA - http://www.deepseaaquatics.net makes custom tanks.

Starfire is much more clear than normal glass which is green when you look at a cross section of it. The thicker the glass, the bigger the difference in starfire and regular glass. The value would be up to you. A big sheet of starfire is quite a bit more expensive than normal glass. It also stands out more on rimless since you can see the cross section all the time around the top rim.

To answer your other question, check with Jake at RCA or Gary at Aquadome. They can take the details of the tank you want and get estimates for them. The tanks are delivered to their stores for pickup so you can often avoid shipping costs. That's how I handled my recent upgrade from 90g to 230g.

As Mike mentioned I have Starfire glass and I've got to say that it is really the only thing I would have done differently with my build. It is just too easy to scratch. Some grit from coraline or a grain of sand gets caught in your magnetic glass cleaner and you're likely to scratch it. I have two 12" beauties right in the middle of my tank that I did sometime in the first couple of months. So the real irony is that I paid a lot more for the clarity of the glass but now I have unsightly scratches! Another way to look at it is that if you are not pleased with a piece of equipment like a skimmer you just replace the skimmer. Don't like the glass? Tough darts, your stuck with it! (Sorry for the language)

Actually my tank was not made by DSA it was made by DAS (Dutch Aquarium Systems) out of Waxahatchie, TX. They make a really nice tank. They use black silicone seams with no built up silicone corner beads - super clean and sexy!! I like their construction so much that they are currently building my 160g rimless frag tank - sans the Starfire. They don't sell to the public but Mark Callahan (Mr. Saltwater Tank TV) is a dealer and can arrange the whole thing. I know that Mark was so impressed with my tank he has used DAS for his personal tanks including his brand new 300g beauty. PM if you want him to get you a quote.

So measured the footprint I have and it's 50x20 which makes it perfect for a stock 90g or 110XH.

Here's where I'm stuck - Glass vs Starphire vs Acrylic.

I've been reading and it says Acrylic is almost the same clarity as Starphire but Starphire is more scratch resistance but I don't think it really matters

between the 3 since as soon as you get a piece of sand between your magnet cleaner it'll scratch all 3.

I have a couple very small scratches due to that issue with my current glass.

I have also heard that their is now an underwater buffing solution for acrylic that some people have used but for glass it's ferric oxide.

I think I don't want Acrylic though since the only advantage is the weight difference which I know my concrete stand can hold and I don't

want hundreds of tiny scratches everywhere, especially within the 1st month.

I'd really like Starphire if it is as tough as glass though. LMK

Acrylic can be repaired but believe me it's easier said than done. It is far more clear than any type of glass though. It also scratches about a million times easier than even starfire glass. I have polished a few tanks and even with an air powered buffer and polishing compounds it was an extremely arduous process. A small 40'ish gallon tank took about 8 hours to fully repair 3 sides to a like new finish using a 3 compound polishing system.

If you use a credit card instead of an algae magnet you shouldn't ever get scratches on glass. There's absolutely no way to prevent scratches in acrylic. I think you could still scratch it with a chinchilla fur.

My 90 rimless was bought with gnarly scratches in it. I had them all removed by a glass resurface guy and its great now.

He can also repair scratches in running tanks on site. He will drain down to the scratch, resurface then refill. I personally don't see a lot of difference in starfire. But then again I wear glasses and have bad eyes.

Thanks Bio. I've been told starphire is kind of like watching tv on HD for the first time. There's also the glass comparison where you can clearly see the difference from clear vs green.

I'm probably going to go Glass though since that'll allow me to spend money on other items such as more LEDs and frags.

Archived