prob a dumb question

kingjames

ok so now that i have been apart of this forum for a while i dont feel as stupid asking this, but what are the specifications that gives a person to be able to put thier name behind a coral, example( tyree, scuba steve, palleta, extc,)? I know these people were not the first people to discover them, so was just wondering what is so much diffrent about a name brand coral, rather than the same exact coral that didnt come from one of there original mother colonies, sorry if this is confusing

Now it's a lot of fancy name = more expensive coral, but it didn't exactly start that way.

Some of these people started keeping SPS when it was more or less considered impossible for a normal aquariest to keep them. They would find a species that had good and desirable color and growth patterns and that was hardy and then start selling and fragging those. The original availability was extremely limited, maybe one or two frags a year for many corals, some coral had 3 - 5 year waiting periods if you could even get on the list. The name was branding but at the same time was more of a service mark that the coral is being sold because it was proven to survive and may be possibly different from other similar looking coral.

It's a little different now since just about anyone with the stocking restraint, MH lighting and a vortech can grow any SPS. But, much of the Tyree, ORA, and others are still hardier than wild or other non-tested corals with the same color patterns.

that sounds legit too, but the only prob i see with that is there is no real proof that that the piece they are selling is exactly from the same lineage, like dogs and papers, you have proof that that dog is from a certain lineage, but with coral there is no documentation, may be wrong though

Good way to attempt to track lineage

that sounds legit too, but the only prob i see with that is there is no real proof that that the piece they are selling is exactly from the same lineage, like dogs and papers, you have proof that that dog is from a certain lineage, but with coral there is no documentation, may be wrong though

Nope your exactly right on my point.

ATTEMPT to track :P

Im taking reservations for my Derrick's amazing trash paly(and they are really from texas!). They are $50 a polyp and I can ship these out quick....LOL I think there someone selling "juiceman brilliant green star polyps" on here as well...this stuff kills me.

Nope your exactly right on my point.

ATTEMPT to track tongue.png

This is kinda annoying point because quite a bit of it is just heresay. I like that coralpedia is setting some standards for identification for at least Zoas. Some of the corals can be identified to species level but many cannot and considering how long some have been grown in captivity it's arguable many of the species/variants we are growing are domesticated and potentially could differ from wild species (look at the problems the Stienhart Aquarium had with corals donated from hobbyests but experienced no problems with wild corals). It's also interesting people assume they know something when they don't, when posting about my Sinularia foliata that I had identified by one of the formost taxonimast in the world on octocorals and is currently known only from one location in Palau I was told that it was just a generic nephthia even though I can provide a copy of the lab work proving it.

One example of this that I can think of is the sherman rbta. One guy who lived in sherman tx had an rbta that was always splitting. So the sherman name became known as a kind that splits often. Now there is no way to know if what you are buying really is a sherman but in this case the name becase synonymous with the desirable trait.

Btw if someone has one I would like a shot at one when it splits.

Using coralpedia you can sometimes find the name assigned to a particular coral by the originator (the person who originally found it, or named it). I have several zoas on there, but they don't have my name behind em, just the name of the zoa.

A lot of times, when you see a persons name attached to something, it is either a way to tell you who/where the corals came from, or it's being used as a marketing ploy to being in more money.

I won't pay top dollar just because something has a persons name on it, but I WILL pay top dollar if its a striking coral, even if there is no name at all. And sometimes, you use the name to find the coral......like my Jason Fox jackolantern lepto. If I tell you that's what I'm looking for, then you know what coral I'm seeking.

Archived