Mushrooms look like they are melting?

ShawnM

Has anyone had mushrooms that look like they were melting? Mine look like they are withering or melting away. nothing new in the tank the only thing that is different is that is is fish less right now have a cuc crew with snails and 2 peppermint shrimp. have some sps zoas and mushrooms and cabbage leather and colt coral. other than that nothing in there I was wondering what was going on with them I have never seen them act like this or any other mushroom in the past look like this.

any other info you can provide would be helpful. Tank size, water parameters (temp,ph,etc), age, water source (RO/DI etc), Mushrooms generally melt down when they go into chemical warfare mode, or when something is disturbing them. They've also been known to shed when algae begins to accumulate, but aside from that, having them too close to a light source will cause them to melt off their pedestal.

the only thing close to them is a colt coral and GSP they are in a 55 gal on the half that is only under 2x54 T5. What parameters are good. Now thinking about it one of my power heads fell off yesterday adn covered everything in sand could this be why the power head landed right on the majority of the mushrooms

They do tend to shed if they get debris on them. It's their method of cleansing themselves, much like the capnella species. Also, if your water is too clean, they wont survive.

you should be at 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and a little bit of nitrate. They thrive in dirty conditions, but arent very fond of ammonia... Where is it physically located in the tank? Pics?

You mentioned you have a colt coral, I know when my capnella extends, and just slightly touches the mushroom, the mushroom immediately retracts.

the only thing close to them is a colt coral and GSP they are in a 55 gal on the half that is only under 2x54 T5. What parameters are good. Now thinking about it one of my power heads fell off yesterday adn covered everything in sand could this be why the power head landed right on the majority of the mushrooms

DSCN0551

Canopy Opend

here is where they are at in the tank and how te lights are run. I will try to get a new pic. they are the ones on the far left

yeah when the colt coral would lean on on mushroom they looked to sting each other. but always came back. now all my blue/purple mushrooms look like they are on there way out

Could be. I've seen mine affected by all kinds of movement. Circulation movements, light changes/movements, chemical warfare due to movements. I think the sand being blown on it/powerhead landing on it could be the route of your cause, if that's your only change. Did it start after that?

Archived