Garage frag tank?

esacjack

Has anyone been doing this? Are you running a chiller in the summer? I'd like to convert my 30 that I'm using for LR curing, into a frag tank. But I'd like to keep it in the garage (where its at now). It's been fairly simple with it in there given the cooler temperatures, but what about the summer heat? My garage is not climate controlled. Id rather keep the tank out of the house if possible.

With very good ventilation you and fans you should be able to keep the water around the daily low temperatures. You need to expect a 10 to 15% evaporation rate and you do need to be careful of salt spray.

I know my garage is pretty much the same as outside temp in the summer, easily over 100 many days. If you do decide to do it, you will definitely need a chiller. Make sure you have one rated for about 30 - 40 degree drop on your tank volume. Also, if possible I would use a glass or acrylic top of some sort to curb some of the evaporation.

I know subsea runs hundreds of gallons in the summer outside and they hit around 83 due to evaporative cooling and that's directly outside. Evap cooling is amazing. Easiest way to get movement and cooling is air curtains.

Yeah my garage gets pretty hot in the summer. I'm thinking I'll start pricing chillers, But air curtains are very intriguing. Bio do you have any recommended reading on the air curtain method? Optimally, I'd like to use T5's for lighting, but if I end up having to do this inside my home office, I'm definitely going to pick up some kessils...

Archived