How sensitive are fish to alkalinity levels?

Wade

I'm setting up my 2-part doser today and my initial alkalinity test results put the alkalinity at about 5. I'm going to dose it up to about 7 over the next 24 - 48 hours. I would like to go get some new fish today because I'm having a Super Bowl party tomorrow and need some more stock. My Nitrates are less around 5 ppm so I think I'm ok there for now. Not going to add any softies until i get it to zero and my alkalinity in the correct range. So my question is, is it safe to add a couple of fish?

Yes. Depending on your bioload nitrates are normal; it's ammonia that you should never have in a fully cycled tank. Alkalinity swings won't affect your fish, just your coral. Softies won't really care that much, and nitrate is just coral food, so you should be okay to add a few things. Be careful how many fish you add at once, you need to give your bacteria time to adjust to the new bioload. Too many fish too fast are a great way to induce the various nuisance algaes so many young tanks become afflicted with.

Thanks for the info. I just got back from the LFS with 5 new fish, but they're all pretty small and I've got a total water volume of about 90 gallons so hopefully the new bioload will not be to much.

I would wait at least a month or 2 before adding more. Watch the ammonia levels as well for the first week or two. Sometime you can shock the system and end up with a second mini cycle. If they're all small you will probably be ok though.

Archived