favia vs favia aggression?

Peter Gott

So I know that favia are relatively aggressive to other coral within about 2" due to their sweepers, and care must be taken when considering their placement to account for future growth with this consideration as well. But how aggressive are they towards each other? Specifically, can two relatively different types which may even be different species, such as a Christmas Favia and an Event Horizon/PPE/Prism Favia be placed next to each other?

Only one way to find out! hmm.png I don't have anything specific about Favia for you but some species of corals/inverts only colonies of the same clone line are compatable while with others incompatability will occur at the genus level not the species or clone line level. Some corals also seem to be indifferent to other species. In my tanks Blue Coral does quite well with BTAs brushing up against it, I guess it likes life spicey.

I don't think I'm going to risk it. The two look different enough in coralite structure that I think they are probably different species...and my Christmas favia is constantly sending out sweepers as it is. So if sometimes even within the same species there can be aggression, and favia are aggressive as it is, best play it safe!

I like the idea of a Blue Coral liking life on the edge though, lwj! 8}

Archived